Mercrusier I/O replacment info

Mokaman

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have a 1988 Celebrity with a 200hp 5.0 alfaone I/O. I messed up the drive unit last year. My thoughts are no oil in lower end. Anyway, I have decided to simply buy one from the Iboats web page. My only questions are, How do I know what gear ratio and tooth? (or what else I need to know before having it shipped? ) as there are several to choose from. Help here would be very helpful and even more appreciated. Also, can someone explain if faster/slower ratios can be used in my application? And what the number differences are? Thanx in advance..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercrusier I/O replacment info

You want a 1:47 gear ratio for a V8. If you call iboats toll free number at 1-800-630-1233, I'm sure they will verify that.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

Generally speaking,......
V8 motors use the 1.5:1 ratio,...
That said,... There are times when the 1.65:1 ratio is used with the 5.0l motors,...
Such as when in a rather Large boat, or at higher Elevations.....
Usually what happens is,...
The 5.0l is a pretty small V8,+ has to use the smallest possible Props when the 1.5:1 ratio is used,+ the Larger of the available props are used when using the 1.65:1 ratio....

Most Props are available in sizes from about 15", up to 23"......
You need a drive gear Ratio to put you within the range of available Props......

Mokaman

Cadet

Hi everyone , Sorry it took so long to respond, been a very busy weekend. Thank you for the quick lesson and the advice. I now have the unit being shipped. Nice chunk-O-change, but as old as the boat is, and my love of Lake Michigan. I feel it was the only choice. May the fishing be good and the water smooth. Thanks again. It should go well, but if I run into trouble, I know the right place for the scoop.;)