repeatedly blown fuse

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a little problem here guys, cant seem to figure it out. I was out fishing yesterday, trolling for a while. After killing the motor to drift over a nice little hump i went to restart the motor to head back up over the spot and nothing happened when i turned the key. I eventually got towed back in by a friend and today after some diagnosis it seemed like the issue was with the solenoid. after replacing this, the problem persisted....still nothing happened when i turne the key. turns out the in line fuse that comes off the solenoid was blown. after it was replaced the motor started again...i turned it on and off a few times and everything seemed ok. went back out fishing...but the fuse blew again...i replaced it on the water and headed back in....since then i've started and killed the motor repeatedly on the muffs without a problem....maybe its happenening when i open the throttle up some. i went through everything and couldn't find a short or anything in any of the wires so i'm really lost...i'd hate to go back out and have this happen again....do any of you know what this could be.....the motor is an 87 evinrude 50 vro....
thanks for any input in advance....

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: repeatedly blown fuse

Pull the big red plug apart, see if any moisture or foreign objects got in there, make sure the pins are straight. I guess you'd have noticed corrosion or other abnormality with the fuse holder.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the boot that hte fuse sits in looks good...could this possibly be a problem with my starter switch?....i'm very confused because i can start and run the motor, kill it and restart it repeatedly.....i did this at the dock yesterday, and then again on the muffs at home, but it blows out on the water, i cant tell if its happeneing when i've been running for an extended period, or when i open the throttle up

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Don't know what your problem is but I put marine grade breakers on mine, makes it alot easier to work on, just make sure you us ethe correct amperage.

Only 2 things can blow a fuse, a short or too much power draw, check all your wires for bad insulation, I have seen the wire covers crack over time and something may be intermittently touching the block, I have an 81 and had to replace alot of wires because of this, one of them would touch the block and pop the breaker.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after spending all afternoon troubleshooting this issue with the fuse yesterday, and more time this morning (including running the motor, stopping/starting on the muffs) without incdient, i decided to run it on the river again...fished all day without incident....having gone through all the wiring without finding any bad/bare spots, checking for shorts in the control box, and around the block....i'm thinking (and hoping) jtexas is right...maybe a little moisture got into the boot that holds the fuse somehow and was still there when i repalced the fuse, causing it to blow a second time....i really dont know........hopefully she keeps running well