1976 Evinrude 55hp always in drive.

huskeraaron

Cadet
I just purchased a small boat with a 55hp Evinrude. It had not been used for several years before I got it. It runs really well but it seems to be stuck in drive. No neutral and no reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Evinrude 55hp always in drive.

disconnect cable at the motor and try shifting at the motor.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya , sounds like the shift cable broke.
Have someone move the throttle and see what moves at the engine.
If only the carb linkage moves it is a cable.

huskeraaron

Cadet

Thanks for your help guys.
Its nice to see some college football fans on here.:)

huskeraaron

Cadet

It does not look like there is a shift linkage. Could this be an electronic shift motor?

Deanrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry husykeraaron, Eventhough my mom was born in Nebraska, The Oregon Ducks are the team brutha. Do we have the history of the Huskers, of course not. In fact, growing up I was a Sooner's and Husker fan. OOOOOh I bet you didnt like that? Sooners????????????????????. Just messin with with ya bro, good luck on your motor.

tashasdaddy

what is you model number, if it is a 1976 it would not be electric shift. but if another year, yes.

huskeraaron

Cadet

Were would I find the model #? I guess the boat is a 76 and I thought the motor was the original. Thanks

tashasdaddy

look for a 1"x2" plate on the transom bracket, could be under the front of the motor or either side outside, also look on the engine block for a plug like this.
MVC-859S-1.jpg

huskeraaron

Cadet

Finally got time to get back to the boat. Model # is 55873S and the serial # is J01227. Thanks for any help.

terrykitts

Recruit

Hi i have a 1971 100 hp with no reverse. I was wondering if you got your problem fixed if so what was it. mine goes foward in reverse or nothing at all thanks....

huskeraaron

Cadet

Mine actually starts in gear. Its all go all the time. I have not yet got this resolved.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

That is an evinrude Triumph. It is a 1968 three cylinder with some sort or electric shift,either hydramatic or electramatic,I think hydramatic.
When those shifters fail they revert to forward only so you cannot get stuck on the water.
Other people with a lot of know how about these shifters will shortly help out by telling you exactly how to check the electronics involved.It can be as simple as a loose wire or the wrong lower unit oil,but it can also be a big pain in the neck.

CATransplant

Admiral

Finally got time to get back to the boat. Model # is 55873S and the serial # is J01227. Thanks for any help.

Well, that's actually a 1968 55hp you have there. It's an electro-hydraulic shift motor. It defaults to forward so you'll always be able to get back to the dock in case something fails.

If it isn't shifting when it's running, then you need to track down the problem. Often, it's in the controls on the boat. If not there, it's in the gearcase. Parts are available, but expensive, so let's hope it's in the controls.

Go Big Red!

huskeraaron

Cadet

Thanks for your help. This is my first boat so things are new to me. I do know a little about electronics, I did trace the wires from the controls to the motor. I pulled the connector apart at the motor where they drop down to the lower unit. I used my ohm meter and had my son move the controls. With the key off my ohm meter showed some change. I turned key on and switched to the volt meter, now I saw no changes. Could this be a power problem? Or is this something worse. Since I just got the boat and it had been sitting for several years I replaced the lower unit grease. What came out was like white bearing packing type grease. What I put in was more of a rearend type liqued grease. Thanks again.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There are 2 types of lower unit oil.You need the type for electric shifting.It usually is the A-type.Go to a marina to make sure that you get the right kind.
White goop in your lower unit means water penetration.Check all your seals and replace the plastic washers that are under the oil changing screws in the lower unit.

huskeraaron

Cadet

So from reading some other posts it looks like I should have some voltage on the wires going to the lower unit. Is this correct. With the key on I get no voltage.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There is really not a lot we can tell you at this point.
We dated the engine,so now it is up to you to buy a manual(preferably an original manufacturers).With that in hand you can check the lower unit and the electric shift.
Once you have some testing results,it will be possible to help you farther along the way because then you can provide us with more info about the problems that you have with the shifter.
You can find the factory manuals right on this website.Just take the 1968 55 hp Johnson manual.Johnson and Evinrude motors are exactly the same