Well my engine ALMOST BLEW up today!!!

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice
Today i was fishing a HEAVY area with nothing but weeds/duckseed. The water is high so It was all in the canals. Well my pee hole STOP peeing. The funny thing is that i could tilt my engine all the way up then set it back down and it would pee agian (unexpalinable?).....Well after doing this twice tilting it up didnt work anymore so i had to get towed back to the landing. Well on the way home i stopped and picked up an empellor thinking that was the issue. Get home and drop lower unit (1st time doing this operation). Replace the empeller the install L/U. Well what was wierd when i started the engine it would not go into forward gear when pushed lever forward. I made sure to count on my shift rod how many threads were exposed that way i could install it back properly. After messing with it for a little while, the only way it would shift right is if i had 10 threads showing instead of nine like it was originaly. What would cause this, and also it seems to shift fine with 10 threads exposed on muffs. When i say threads exposed i mean the nut that disconnects the shift rod from lower unit. So is it ok for me to have it like it is???? Also what arte some things i can do to try and dislodge any duckweed that could still be left in my engine?? Thanks!!

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Well my engine ALMOST BLEW up today!!!

If it shifts right at 10 threads I'm wondering if you may have miscounted the number of threads during disassembly?

I'm guessing it's a Force outboard, what year and horsepower?

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice

If it shifts right at 10 threads I'm wondering if you may have miscounted the number of threads during disassembly?

I'm guessing it's a Force outboard, what year and horsepower?

1996 force 75 hp

maxum247

Lieutenant

Pull the thermostat and back flush thru the thermostat housing with the water hose, put the thermostat housing back on without the thermostat and start the engine on muffs with water running and see if all is now clear.
If you have water flowing out the lower end and the two relief holes in the back of the leg with the engine running, put the thermostat back in and you should be good to go!

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

As for your shift-rod-linkage, it's not that precise. The threads on the shift-rod are probably around 1/32" apart. On mine, I can move my shift-rod just about 1/8" either way, and it shifts like it's supposed to. I adjusted mine again this spring, and I'll probably end up doing it again later this summer. It really wasn't that big of a deal to do.