9.5 tune-up necessary?

danacman

Seaman
'68 evinrude 9.5 hp

I've only had this motor for a month and it runs good. But because of its age, I'm somewhat skeptical about its reliability.
it has a new impeller, but thats all I know thats been replaced, it looks all original....should I replace anything else as preventative maint or let her ride with what she has? I'd hate to replace good parts and sometimes stuff was just made better back then.

Any particular parts that I should replace now?
Thanks in advance
daniel

iwombat

Captain
Re: 9.5 tune-up necessary?

The only other thing to take a look at would be the coils. You'll need to pop the flywheel off to do that. If the coils are original they're probably pretty scary by now.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Do the 9.5's have the 'lil inspection port in the flywheel like the 10's? If so then it's easy to check em.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is running well, I would wait until there is a problem before doing anything to the ignition if it were my motor.

If the plug wires are in good shape and the spark plugs fairly new, take the boat out for a long test drive, say half hour or better cruising. If there is no sign of the ignition breaking down, why risk making it worse.

ColdPat

Seaman Apprentice

I agree. There is no reason to attach an electrical system that is meant to last a lifetime. Remember these things are lamenated and dipped in varnish then baked on for insulation and the only way these things go bad is heat. If it were a bigger motor, say something that would pull a skier then maybe I would say check it because people run those things all day. A 9.5 is probably run about 20 minutes total each time this thing went out. I wouldn't worry at all. Do the normal checks. ie check compression, check spark plugs, check fuel hosing, change normal. don't worry about severe unless it breaks down. But this young a motor, I wouldn't worry.