20Hp Volvo Penta Outboard

holze

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 20 hp Volvo Outboard. Not sure of the year 1975-1978 I believe. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this engine. It was tight when I got it, but runs now, however not as well as I would like. The idle is very touchy, forward gear has no power. About the only thing that works is reverse gear. Thank you in advance!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 20Hp Volvo Penta Outboard

Welcome to the forum. Occasionally, someone drops in here with a question about a Volvo Penta outboard. Unfortunately, there's very little info available on them, and I don't know of any US parts sources.

Try a google search. I've seen some pages about VP outboards in Europe, and it seems like some parts are available through sources there. Few were sold in the US, so it's not a brand for which there is much support here.

Given the age of yours, I suspect it's going to be very difficult to find parts for it, unfortunately.

gblaufuss

Cadet

Welcome to the forum. Occasionally, someone drops in here with a question about a Volvo Penta outboard. Unfortunately, there's very little info available on them, and I don't know of any US parts sources.

Try a google search. I've seen some pages about VP outboards in Europe, and it seems like some parts are available through sources there. Few were sold in the US, so it's not a brand for which there is much support here.

Given the age of yours, I suspect it's going to be very difficult to find parts for it, unfortunately.

This is pretty bad news since I just bought one of this motors. Thanks for the info (I think). I will try the European search.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can you explain "no power in forward"? Does it move in forward but not
produce normal top speed?It may be running on one cylinder.That may make idle touchy as well.If you pull and ground one plug wire at a time start it see if it runs.

gblaufuss

Cadet

Forward and reverse are fine. I did pull one plug at a time and only the top cylinder is firing. Switched the plugs (don't know if plugs go bad) and same thing, no power from lower cylinder.
Thanks for your help