Tilt Tube Turns

Willyclay

Captain
Neighbor's 2004 Mercury 60HP 2 stroke has the steering cable stuck in the tilt tube. We disconnected the link and verified the motor moves freely. When trying to remove the cable nut, the entire tilt tube turns including the lock nuts on both ends. Any recommendations of how to get cable out? Thanks!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt Tube Turns

Willy, Can you put another nut on the far end and jam them together? Then a wrench on these can hold the tilt tube from turning.

Willyclay

Captain

Chris, thanks for your response. We were unable to find a nut locally and my neighbor took his boat to the dealer late yesterday. I was afraid of damaging something and he did not want to lose any more of the boating season. Any comments about the manual diagram that shows a grease fitting on the cable clamping nut at the tilt tube? Never seen that on any boat of mine with either Teleflex and Uflex cables!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Willy, My old steering cable had a grease fitting just before the engine end nut. My newer cables do not. The old cables allowedd you to grease the inner cable

Willyclay

Captain

I should have known the answer was: "the way they used to do it"! Another example of the finance people taking 50 cents out of the cost of a product so they can sell more new ones. Would it be possible to drill and tap a new cable nut for a grease zerk?

Last edited: