Yamaha Tachometer Problem

UnWired

Recruit
I have a 2001 OX66 Saltwater Series 2, with low hours. When we bought our boat, the original tachometer was working, but cracked on the LCD display, making it very hard to read the gauge.

The original gauge did not have any buttons on it. I purchased a new gauge for the boat, Yamaha, same thing, but with buttons on it for Set and Mode.

The gauge and harness hooked up identical and I assumed it was working. I left all 3 switches in the back in the default down position.

Right now, I have tilt working correct, appears that everything is working correctly.. but, I have 0 RPMs showing up. Randomly went through the dips, rechecked the wiring and still, firing up the engine shows 0 RPMs. Did I buy the wrong tach or is something out of place? Seems like it should have been an identical switch out. Image of Tach I have is below, original did not have the buttons, but worked.

-- New Tach --
tachometer2_HR.jpg

--- Old Tach ---
Gauge_tach.gif

UnWired

Recruit
Re: Yamaha Tachometer Problem

I guess this one got lost or nobody really has a clue like me.

I'm sure that this problem has to have come up before. Different tach or year models? Is there an adapter cable for a post 2005 tach that is different? I think I'll try Yamaha on Monday and see what they say. I can't find a part # on either tach.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have posted on this till I am blue in the face, the tach came out of the box set for 4 stroke,2 wire trim and 12 pole altenator, you have to set the switches for 2 stroke ,the correct trim, and 12 pole altenator. 2001 was the break for 3 wire trim sender. yours should be 2 wire but look at it, if it has only a pink and black its 2 wire.
did you purchase this tach from a dealer or used ?
some of the post 05 stuff will require an adapter to work with pre 05 engines.
adapter is about 30 dollars or so.

Assuming that you have the correct pole setting, the tach rpm readings should work regardless since that tach signal is inputed via the green wire that is not part of those white plastic harness's. Do you have the green wire connected?

How many white plastic plugs are on the back of your new tach?

HC

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

either the tach is defective or its miss-wired.
the green wire at the tach must be plugged in, its been pointed out that is the tach send wire.
the buttons simply switch between engine hours and trip hours. use the set button to reset trip hours, total hours cannot be reset. use the mode button to hide the hour display or display trip or total hours.
the tach portion will work regaurdles of dip switch settings but may not display correcly nor will the alarm visuals nor trim work correctly unless the correct settings are selected.
was the tach new from yamaha? are you sure the green tch send lead is plugged to the correct drk green on the ign harness ?

UnWired

Recruit

Hi Rodbolt and HC... thank you very much for the reply.

I honestly searched the entire forum for this problem, way before posting.

I will check the wiring in the morning. I can't find an adapter cable.

There are two plastic connectors on the back of the tach. There is a pink wire, that was soldered to the blue wire on the tach and speedo.

I'll go through it. Didn't sink the boat until this weekend, so if we get the tach straightened out, everything is working 100%.