Test lower unit seals 25hp johnson '75

ColdPat

Seaman Apprentice
Guys,
I tested my lower unit with a foot bicycle pump and connected it to the lower unit using plastic oil pump hosing. The only leak was at the plastic oil pump hosing. I'm concerned that it only lasted about 20 seconds to leak air out the plastic hosing. Should try something different to keep pressure for longer. Like I said at about 12 lbs the only leak was at the plastic hosing when submerged in water.

ColdPat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Test lower unit seals 25hp johnson '75

sorry typo, Should I try something else so that I keep pressure longer. Like I said nothing leaked. Does someone know of something metallic I can go buy to attach air hose to my lower unit?

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the exact same setup (foot pump with a gauge and the fill hose off my oil pump). Did you use the nozzle or did you slip the hose inside the pump couple thingy-ma-jig? I didn't have leaks on mine. I used the nozzle for filling up inflatables. Slid the hose on all the way.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You didn't have any leaks with it underwater, so you should be good to go as far as holding pressure goes. That doesn't guarantee that it won't leak in service, but that's a different subject.