Prop makes me confused

jamesh76

Seaman
Good day all,

today i took my little v bottom to a pond that i fish in. At first, the boat was planing and running perfect, and then i took it through a little patch of moss and it was not so good.

The motor was running fine, but when i would give it some gas to plane out it would act as if the prop was spinning, but not catching completely. It was almost as if it was kind of slipping. I took it home and took the prop off so that i could insptect the pin. The pin was in perfect condition. It was not bent, cracked, broken in any way.

Is there something else that i should check at this point i don't know what else to look for.

Thanks, James

jamesh76

Seaman
Re: Prop makes me confused

I forgot to mention that the motor is a 1972 20 hp johnson electric start.

chad lester

Cadet

You probably spun the hub in the center of the prop send it out to get re-hubbed, and it should be fine.

jamesh76

Seaman

would a new prop do the same justice as being re-hubbed? I need a new one any ways.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

doesn't that motor have a drive pin instead of the rubber bushing?

Here's what happened. The moss interrupted the flow of water into the prop blades, which resulted in "cavitation", which is when the blades exert enough force to literally boil the water - instead of pulling water through the blades, the prop is pulling a little water and a lot of air. Feels like a slipping clutch. Next time just throw it in reverse to clear the vegetation, and go on fishing.