Spot Sealer

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a 1989 boat I bought used. 19 foot center console with forward and rear floor storage, covered by teak wood flush with the deck. But with ? inch between boards that allow spray in. Flows back to the bilge over a sub deck.

Finished replacement of the fuel system, adding a fuel flow meter. All new hoses, double clamps and brass fittings. Have a poly hatch over the gas tank, I pulled it to reroute the fuel lines and wiring. Inner wood inside of this has gotten wet and is loose and spintering.

Had to climb into the bilge to make the thru-transfom connections on the fuel system. Found problem spots on the boat. What better to do than inspect the bottom when you are stuck and can't wiggle yourself out.

The rear end of the front to back stringers form the stern edge of the sub-deck. There is a foam box and exposed stringers. The last 6 inches of the stringer and 8 - 10 inches of the foam are exposed. Rot is setting in to the last 3-4 inches of the stringers. And the foam is moist.

Second problem I found is that from the sub-deck to the bilge, there is a 4 inch hole to the bilge which the water flows thru. Looks like it is soft also.

Looking for guidance on the best way to seal and strengthen these areas. I have no experience with fiberglass and resin.

Found something called BoatLIFE Git Rot Kit. Anyone have any experience with this ?

Wondering if I can use this to strengthen and seal the thru-bilge and edge of the stringers.

Understand that I am going to have to learn to do some fiber within the hatch over the tank, rotting. But for tight spaces and budget, this stuff sounds really good. But does it work as advertised ?

Thanks for any advise that anyone can give me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spot Sealer

Found something called BoatLIFE Git Rot Kit.

the stuff doesnt work......read....search on this forum....your buying antifreeze.......read the ingrediants.......glycol.

my friend, im afraid youv'e stumbled into a delemma......sell or fix.....

if you want to fix....read skanky beast at the top of the forum....it is the sites toturial.......

then search stringer replacement.......deck replacement.....

if the rot is in small areas it can be cut out out and new peices sistered on to it.

but the rot has to come out.......

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

100% agreement with oops!. Your situation will not improve with the use of Git Rot or CPF or any of those. All they are is a form of "watered down" polyster resin that enables it to travel into the wood structure. So let's say it travels an inch or two into the wood and there is rot 3" away. No compromise. If you like the boat and want to keep it then it is necessary to do the correct repairs on it. If it's not that much of a keeper then sell her, but please make the disclosure concerning the questionable rot.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will take and post a couple of photos early next week. The boat is being stored 50 miles from the house, so can't get back to it until this weekend.

Hopefully the extent isn't as bad as you all suggest. Really love this boat and don't want to have to rip it apart any more than I have already.

Thanks again to you for your advise,

Pat

Coors

Captain

Grinding fiberglass is in your future, but get it outside, in a breeze, and it is not bad. The wood nets to be f/g or epoxied, with cloth/ etc. Build it up enough for the plastic to be the strength, and who cares if the wood rots? Not needed anymore.