Prop Pitch

Jon Thunda

Cadet
I recently bought a 14' aluminum boat with a 35 hp Johnson ob. The prop is an adjustable four blade composite prop. What I don't understand is how prop pitch affects the performance. The man I got it from claims to get a "rooster tail" when he ran it. I am significantly larger than he is (FAT) and can't get the boat to completely plain out. I'm thinking I can adjust the prop pitch and get the plain(plane?). Any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Pitch

Is this boat tiller steer?
To keep it simple less pitch(lower number) gives more power,better hole shot.
higher pitch Higher number less power more speed,less hole shot.
I believe your prop probably has 2 settings
Never mind the prop for now.
You probably need to trim in to get on plane easier.
Move the tank to the bow.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the tilt of the engine to the transom has a lot to do with getting the boat on plane, he probably has it tilted out, to throw the rooster tale. have you checked spark and compression on the motor?

Jon Thunda

Cadet

If I pitch the motor all the way up, I almost but not quite get plane. It actually will porpoise slightly and I have a have a plane fin. spark and compression are fine. What I don't get is how do you determine the pitch? Angled down towards the prop hub or up towards a 90 degree. What means what here?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you can't get a 14' aluminum to plane with a 35 on it there's something wrong. Either the boat is waterlogged and weighs a ton or the engine has no power or the trim/prop are way off. I weigh ~240 lbs and can get my 14'er to plane with a 10hp on it and another person even!

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If I pitch the motor all the way up, I almost but not quite get plane. It actually will porpoise slightly and I have a have a plane fin. spark and compression are fine. What I don't get is how do you determine the pitch? Angled down towards the prop hub or up towards a 90 degree. What means what here?

Trim the motor so that the prop is closer to the transom (back of the boat). The further out and up that the prop is from the transom, the harder it will be to get it on plane. Loose the plane fins. They're likely dragging you down on top end.

If you can't get a 14' aluminum to plane with a 35 on it there's something wrong.

I agree. That thing should absolutely JUMP out of the water. You might consider checking spark and compression again. Somethings not right. I don't think you could purchase a prop for that motor that wouldn't plane a 14' alluminum boat. That's a lot of motor for that application.

Move the tank to the bow.

Good suggestion!!!! You might also consider moving the battery box forward as well. This will definitely help you. But first, tuck that motor in a bit. Move the pin down one hole at a time until you find a happy medium on the hole shot versus top end speed.