engines and I/O units

RGR

Cadet
Need help on this one. I just purchased a Starcraft runabout that needs engine work. I can get this rebuilt for parts only. The real question is the I/O unit. Can this be tested or looked at to see what it might need<br />or am I wasting my time and money?<br /><br />Thanks

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: engines and I/O units

RGR... How old, what MFG, what engine size, etc...etc...<br /><br />I can testify that rebuilding a boat can be a rather expensive endeavor...but then so was getting married and having kids!<br /><br />If you are willing to take it on...there are plenty of folks in here who have the know-how to help you through it if you have a bit of mechanical ability, a good manual, and lot's of spare change!<br /><br />Walt

RGR

Cadet

Thanks Walter: The boat is a 1970. Engine is a 120 hp Mercury (an old iron horse nova motor 4 cylinder). That is pretty much all I know on that and the I/O unit, well your guess is as good as mine. <br /><br />Where do I start first. The I/O unit or motor? from what I see on the net this can be a big costly thing. I do know that there is no trim cylinder on the unit and that the bellows need replaced. This boat was just out last year. and the motor does run. Give me some what ifs. Thanks

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Holy cow...where to begin. You've already spent the cash so warning you against purchasing it won't do much good.<br /><br />Depending upon what all is wrong, if you are willing/able to do the majority of the work yourself...you will save some major dollars. I'm gonna assume everything on this thing is original... Obviously, it would be good for you to know the repair history so you know what components may have been recently replaced.<br /><br />Boat: Check for dry-rot. Using an ice pick, poke around the transom and flooring. Look at the motor mounts and where they bolt to the stringers...any evidence they're loose? No since in getting the engine all dialed in only to end up pulling it to replace the wood structure. <br /><br />You mentioned the engine requires some work but you didn't say what's wrong. Will the engine need to come out of the boat? If so...then the outdrive assembly will need to be removed as well...and there'd be no better time to make necessary repairs to the interior and the outdrive. <br /><br />As far as the outdrive...at the very least you should first drain the outdrive gear lube and look for evidence of water. The gear lube should be dark green...maybe almost black in color. Cream color indicates water...that's not good. In that case, new seals will be in order. The raw water pump should be replaced if you don't know how old it is. The U-joints should be checked for wear and greased...you'll have to pull the outdrive off to do this. The shift cable and boot should be checked...replaced if original. <br /><br />All this may be just the beginning, but should give you a place to start.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Walt

RGR

Cadet

Walter.. Hey I checked out the oil in the I/O unit. It came out a clear/green. Did not smell burnt or used. It almost looked like new oil. You said it would be dark green or even black, I take it that would be if the unit had been run last summer. As far as the wood, it's all solid. The motor will have to come out. It has water in the oil. My father in law can rebuild it for me. It will cost me parts only. I will need a repair manual though. Where can I get one "IF" I can get one. You also assumed right, everything is original. I am also going to do most of the work myself with some help from friends.<br /><br />Thanks: The man out of his mind! RGR