Looking for a year

Timmy216

Recruit
I just scored another 50's evinrude fleetwin. this one is a 7.5hp. from comparing pics I think its a '55, but want to confirm...all I can give right now is the serial number for help...is there something in the serial # that you can tell the year? thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking for a year

Welcome to Iboats. Model number would be more helpful although some of these guys might can tell what the year is by the serial number.

The model number should be located on the motor mount (what lets the motor hang from the transom) right under the lower cowling, it can be hard to find. The model number may also be located on the side of the motor mount on that small motor. Or you might be able to get the numbers off of the freeze plug on the top of the power head.

Timmy216

Recruit

Serial# is 7518-40820
This actually says SERIAL NUMBER and it is located on a plate attached to the motor mount

I'll look for the model #(edit-looked for it briefly and couldnt find it)

thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I have found the year for it :eek:, 1955. Sorry about the delay. Although it doesn't hurt to have the model number so you can make sure you are getting the right parts for the motor if you ever half to buy parts for it.

Timmy216

Recruit

No problem on the delay. I didnt expect someone to hurry and look it up, due to my lazyness :D I wasnt in any kind of pinch and needed a part or anything like that. I had just bought the motor that day and was curious.

I found the motor and pressure tank(which also came with a small fiberglass boat on a trailer) sitting in front of an older gentlemens house that day and he sold everything to me for $250. YES - $250!!! I couldnt believe it!

wbeaton

Commander

Nice little motor. The first motor I ever completely rebuilt was a 1955 Fleetwin. The 7518 part of the serial number you posted is the model number.

Your next question will be "where can I get parts for a 1955? I can only find parts for 1956 and newer." Relax, all the tune-up parts are the same for all the 7.5 hp motors from 1954-58.

Use 24:1 TC-W3 outboard motor oil to 87 octane gasoline. Synthetic oil smokes much less and is biodegradable, which is nice since these motors dump a lot of unspent fuel in the water.

Spark plugs are Champion J6C gapped to .030", points gapped to .020", use 90W lower unit gear oil. Check the coils as they are often bad (cracked, sweaty, discoloured) and look to see if there is any water intrusion in the lower unit.

You should replace the impeller. You'll have to remove the powerhead to disconnect the linkage. Sounds involved, but its really quite simple. Check out how to tune-up a 5.5 hp (basically the same motor) over at the following website. Don't worry about the pressure tank thing he mentions. There is great debate on the subject.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/default.htm