Throttle linkage

nottuskram

Cadet
On my throttle linkage I have two plastic pieces.They have a place to screw the metal piece into on both ends.It also has the set nut on both ends.Does anyone know what the distance from the end of the threads to the set screw?It is a 85 force. Late 80,s
Thanks Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle linkage

Since the cable is threaded on both ends and this is how you adjust cable length: Then if you thread both end fittings about halfway down the threaded end, at the locknut, you will be close if not right on to final adjustment.

nottuskram

Cadet

Frank thank for the info.I think I didn,t explain it well enough.It is the piece that goes from the cam to the tree that controls the 3 carbs.It is About 5" long and has two plastic clips that one sits on a post that is screw in the motor and the other end is attached to the tree.85 force and late 80's.Thank you Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Nah! My fault for misreading. When I read it just now, I realized what you meant before I got to your reply.

There is no set length on the threaded rod. You adjust it so that both ends are substantially equal. You adjust so that the cam just touches the carb roller and the roller contacts the cam either on the mark if a single mark or between the marks if it has two marks. This is done with the carbs fully closed. then you check to see if at wide open throttle, the carb butterflies are substantially horizontal--a slight bit off and the engine will not even notice. Then, idle speed is adjusted ---so the mark(s) may or may not be on the roller after adjustment.

Do not tighten the lock nuts too much. to do so will eventually crack the plastic ball fitting.