Goldenrod Fuel Filters

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I've seen Goldenrod brand fuel filters around for a few years. Nice transparent filter with drain **** in the sediment bowl. Does about 5 gpm, and has both 10 micron and 15 micron w/water block cartridge filters. At about half the price of the brand name spin on filter, they seem a bargain.

They are very popular with the farm and truck crowd, just wondering if anyone has used these on a boat.

17423.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Goldenrod Fuel Filters

I don't remember the brand, but I had one with those features on Sunshine III. Highly recommend the drainable, transparent bowl.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

JB, the big transparent fuel bowl, drain ****, and the large area from bottom of bow to bottom of filter is what caught my attention. I am thinking of putting this on my Bayliner w/85hp as the primary water filter. My experience with water in fuel is that most of the time gravity will cause water to fall out and lay in the sediment bowl. And that bowl looks like it could handle a full cup or so of water in the bottom. With the water block filter element, it should give me the protection I'm looking for in a water filter.

Specs say its 4" wide and 9" tall. Although in the photo it looks to be more than 9" tall if its 4" wide. Maybe they mean just the bowl.

Edit: Found the manufacturer of these filters. The company is Dutton-Lainson. They supply marine products like winches, trailer jacks, fuel filters, anchors as well as other non-marine products. This filter is made in the USA. I'm going to order one. If you want to see their website, just tack ".com" to their name.

Maybe iboats would want to start supplying their products. Their prices are very competitive with off-shore products and they are a USA company.

drconsult

Recruit

I know it's an older post but here's my $0.02 worth...

There's nothing worse than pulling into a harbour, treacherous area or active shipping channel and having your engine die from water in your fuel!

I installed one outside the engine compartment under my starboard gunnel in easy view and it's saved my bacon several times. It's connected in line before the standard merc filter but after my electric fuel pumps and check valves so any accumulated water can be drained without shutting off the engine. It's proven itself on one occasion by blocking almost a litre of water from getting to my engine and keeping it running.

A Merc outboard motor connector after the filter makes a nice touch that allows for filtering the fuel in place by connecting a hose back to the fuel fill deck ports and running the electric fuel pumps. I do this each season prior to using the old stabilized fuel that was in the tanks over winter.

Just as airplane pilots do, I also drain a small sample of fuel into a clear container to check the fuel prior to each voyage. If there's water there, it gets drained before we leave the dock.

Racor (Parker) also makes some nice models with electronic warnings but they do not have the water separating capacity that these units do.

Installing one of these or any other drainable fuel filter bowl will reduce or eliminate your fuel dirt and water problems.

PS - The biggest problem I had was mounting it. A U-shaped custom stainless bracket combined with a couple of hose clamps around the fittings securely holds the filter while still keeping it serviceable.