Bravo III thru-hub exhaust problem?

jmerone

Recruit
Folks:

I just started up my 5.0MPI Mercruiser Bravo III up for the first time this year after it's usual winter outside storage in the cold. I don't see any water exiting the thru-hub exhaust. The boat is on the trailer and hooked up to the hose. All looks fine, water seems to be taken in ok, and the engine doesn't overheat (160 degrees max. after 20 minutes idling). Inside, I can't see any water leaking into the bilge through any kind of leak. On the outside there's a good flow coming out around the gimbal housing - the exhaust bellows(?). But not through the prop. There it's just exhaust gas and steam - no water. Shouldn't it be exiting there too? Do I have a problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joey

tommays

Admiral
Re: Bravo III thru-hub exhaust problem?

You sound normal to me on the muffs you might just get a bit of water mist at the prop

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

Water takes the path of least resistence.....In this case it's though the idle relief ports....

Perfectly Normal....

jmerone

Recruit

Thank you for the input and answers. The power of member-lists and thousands of eyeballs looking over a problem comes through again.

Joey

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got a relative's bravo III set up this past weekend. A couple of things I noted:

1. It took a solid 2-3 minutes for any water to exit the boat. It really holds a lot of water in the block.

2. Unless the drive is all the way down, the exhaust boots don't mate and nothing comes through the prop. If you raise the drive all the way up, you can clearly see the boots I'm talking about.

I'm no expert on the Mercs, but what you posted sounds normal.

Chuck

180shabah

Rear Admiral

2. Unless the drive is all the way down, the exhaust boots don't mate and nothing comes through the prop. If you raise the drive all the way up, you can clearly see the boots I'm talking about.

You are describing the exhaust tube. It is an "upgrade".

The bellows are clamped on both ends, so it doesn't matter what position the drive is in(should still be down so as not to destry the ujoints), they are still sealed.