Mercruiser 4.3 Water Flow Prob- Help

searaybob

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 1988 4.3 merc. I had a new impellor put in lower end not long ago but haven't run boat but twice since, never started dry. I since changed manifolds, risers and hoses. I put a trash can full of water on outdrive but it would not pick up water- no circulation. ... I put muffs on and everything seems ok. If this sounds like the impellor is shot can you tell me what else might need replacing also. Any help would be appreciated on this.........

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 Water Flow Prob- Help

Ayuh,....

I don't know What you had going on with the trash can,.....
If it's alright on the Muffs,....
I'd Splash it,+ See what happens........

searaybob

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 Water Flow Prob- Help

Thanks for the reply.

I put the trash can underneath the outdrive full of water and being fed so the level or water stayed above the outdrive intakes. I wanted to see if the outdrive pump would feed the engine water pump. I had no water flow. Later I talked to a mechanic who told me to let the outdrive waterpump to get a prime. I filled a trash can with the out drive in it and put muffs on oudrive and knocked them off once the exhaust had good cooling water flow. When I took muffs off, the water flow out of the exhausts kept flowing fine so I believe everything is working fine for now. I hope you understand what I am saying about this, as I didn't want to launch boat and find out I didn't have adequate cooling water. I was thinking that the outdrive had a bad impellor and would not feed the engine water pump. This test proved that it is in working order. I will be launching boat next weekend but still will replace both impellor and water pump as boat is due.......... cheap insurance i suppose... Let me know what you think... Thanks,,

Bob