OMC V8 Ford 200 Valve Adjusment Procedure

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice
Had the boat out last saturday running like a champ. Came out of a no wake zone and tried to come up on plane to about a thousand snare drums and the sound of burning oil. I had oil pressure and temp was in the norms. My daughters boyfriends dad came over and had me run it, (omg sounds terrible). He told me to replace the water pump (for safeties sake) and do a valve adjustment on the port side (where the clattering is coming from). I have the clymers oem manual, which is AWESOME when rebuilding a drive but motorwise is vague and SUCKS. Can you do a valve adjustment on just one side? Can someone point me to the correct method for doing a valve adjusment on this thing? I know the basics, but need a set of instructions to print out and have in the boat with me while doing it. If this doesnt work im taking it to the local dealer who has already quoted me 150.00 flat for a valve job, if i need head work they will pull them and get them done at the machine shop for 130.00 (extra for valve parts if needed). Please dont say "buy a manual", lol.........I need to attempt this tonight so i can just take it to the dealer tommorow if this doesnt work. I appreciate the help guys!

p.s Happy Mothers day!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC V8 Ford 200 Valve Adjusment Procedure

I have the clymers oem manual,

Clymers is an aftermarket manual and is NOTHING like an OEM manual.

It would also help to know what year it is. Did you take the valve cover off to see if something was broken?????

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have other problems, hydraulic valves don't lose adjustment. You've lost oil pressure to the lifters on that side (if it is one side only).

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 79 wellcraft OMC Stringer redone to a full mechanical 85 drive. I have the port side cover off, nothing was broken or bent(that I can tell). Ill post a clear pic later today. Ford V8 200 hp. Ive pulled the port side cover, drained and refilled the oil (black as h&ll). The valve rockers where all free, loose as hell and you can turn them side to side (a bad thing).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you check for water in the cylinders and try a compression check?

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

There is no water in the cylinders, I didnt think I would get a proper reading with the valves on the port side all screwed up so no. I'll give that a try first thing when I get home from church........