Modifying 2000 Yam 4stroke

CajunShark

Recruit
any one know some links where i can learn how to increase performance of my 2000 115 YAM 4stroke: example, exhaust, intake, ignition, timing, cooling. Thinking of adding an electric blower to the air intake, possibly increasing the octane to 110, want more exhaust flow for super charger. How close am i to an engine failure by doing these things?
any help, thanks guys

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Modifying 2000 Yam 4stroke

yea buy a 115 Yam 2 stroke.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really hard to modify a modern EFI engine. The computer controls everything, and if you change something it really needs the software rewritten to deal with the change or you are almost certain to blow it up.

A carbed 4 stroke would be a much better candidate for modification, one that is based on an automobile engine for which the aftermarket offers performance goodies. I think a few of the Hondas from the 90s meet that description.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I had a reply posted here and i would like to know what happened to it!

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

yea buy a 115 Yam 2 stroke.

Are you saying the 2-stroke outperforms the 4-stroke, or are you saying it's easier to add performance mods?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

DI 4-strokes will often push a given hull faster and deliver far better fuel mileage. Their cleaner, quieter, and, in Yamaha lineup, have a longer warranty. I will concede holeshot to the 2-strokes, however.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...in_2stroke_hpmidport_pro_skt-sx180-115tlr.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...e_midthrustjetport_pro_skt-sx180-f115tlrc.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...in_2stroke_hpmidport_al_gls-gx180-115tlrd.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...rokePerf_MidThrustJetPort_115hp_037-GLS-A.pdf

CajunShark

Recruit

Thanks for the nfo. If I find something worth posting I'll let you know.
again Thank you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Jevery you picked four bad examples. In the case of the two strokes, the boats were pushing 360 pounds more load than the four strokes and even at that were just a a whisker slower and faster out of the hole despite the load. In these particular examples the fuel economy advantage at wide open throttle goes to the four strokes. That's not always a given since the two strokes don't have to rev as fast as the four strokes to deliver the same speed.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I agree the Glastron test is not a good comparison. I didn?t note the significant ?Weight as Tested? difference between the two. Looking at the Skeeter test the weight difference is 229 lbs. Likely enough to give a slight top speed advantage to the 2-stroke. Your point that 2-strokes don?t have to rev as fast to make the same speed, I don?t see here. Comparing the Skeeter tests, at 4000 RPM, a reasonable cruising speed, both engines are within 1/2 MPH with the 4-stroke delivering about 26% better fuel economy. At WOT the 4-stroke delivers 33% better mileage. My original point, however, is that CajunShark wouldn?t see a performance increase by hanging a Yamaha 2-stroke on his boat. I can produce many performance reports from various manufactures and HP ranges to demonstrate that 2-strokes, including the new generation of DFI 2 ?strokes, will not push a given hull significantly faster than their 4-stroke competition. In fact, the 4-strokes often will produce slightly better top speed, better cruising MPG, and lower noise levels. As I said before, hole shot is better with the 2-strokes, although, this advantage will diminish as more manufactures follow Suzuki?s path with variable valve timing technology.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the F225 sport, and all yamaha F motors 250 Hp and above use varible valve timing. the f350 took it a few steps more with an ionic knock detect, so far they cannot tell us if the fuel delivery can be modified on a cylinder by cylinder basis or if all are modified if conditions for knock are detected.
the biggest reason the 2 strokes can normally outperform the 4 strokes in speed is due to the fact that in one revolution of a Z300(2 stroke) all six pistons have made a poer stroke on the crankpin(lever).
on an F motor(4 stroke) with one revolution of the V6 crank only 3 pistons have made a power stroke 3 other 3 have eaten available horse power due to piston drag and pushing exhaust gas, they have made no contribution to power and have actually eaten a bit.
so far all the F motors are EFI, DFI is on the horizon but not yet.
its been done for 20 years or better just not in the outboard market.
biggest issue I see with modifying the 4 stroke for more power is eventually you have to increase RPM at WOT. and thats going to require extensive intake,exhast and valvetrain mods as well as mechanical modifications to the crank,rods and flywheel.
speed costs money. how fast do you wish to go ?