Found a boat i'm interested in, but can't find much on it...

jpeaslee

Recruit
I just ran across this forum so if i'm doing something wrong, i appologize in advance. I just found a boat on craigslist that i'm interested in and i can't find much information about it online. here Is the link to craigslist. Its a 1988 MEL-HART BARETTA 20 1/2 foot run about with a vortec 350. What questions do i need to be asking? I've never owned a boat before, but am familiar with them from using my grandparents. Its a fish/ski w/ an old merc 90hp (i think) outboard. This boat would probably mostly be used for wakeboarding/tubing and just cruising. I've tried googling and whatnot and i just haven't come up with much info on the boat. Can anyone help me out. (in the mean time i'll keep searching on here and google) Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Found a boat i'm interested in, but can't find much on it...

This is NOT what you want.

Not a wakeboard boat at all, barely a ski boat.

It is a cuddy cabin cruiser with limited space.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree, and over priced for an 1988 even with upgrades. i missed that one on the Jax craigslist. welcome to iboats from a Jacksonville, Native.

brandonsb22

Seaman

*Rebuilt vortec 350 with cran cam 300HP up grade cam kit.
Inboard/Outboard

jpeaslee

Recruit

So what would make it a bad wakeboard boat? Do realize i'm used to a boat made for extremely small people, so space wise the boat would be so much bigger than what i'm used to. Also i'm no professional wakeboarder or anything. I've just always liked boats/boating and i think it would be a load of fun to get a group of my college buddies together and go out on the water for a bit of fun. I emailed the guy again and it sounds like he'd be willing to come down on the price a considerable amount. What would be a reasonable price?

Thanks for the welcome tashasdaddy. I'm actually in valdosta ga (if you know where that is). I was actually at the jax beach yesterday getting the most sunburned of my life.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off, a common mistake when looking at older used boats is to try and find lots of info on the boat. Not only is there very little info available on 20 year old boats, it also doesn't matter much. The physical condition of the boat is what it is! You need to get one that has a layout you want and an engine that has plenty of power. THEN you need to really look into the condition of the boat and the engine.

The mot likely problem with a boat that age is the deck, transom and stringers may be rotting out. Soft spots in the deck are a sure sign of this, Sometimes it's not that obvious. Other boat condition things are pretty obvious - vinyl condition, hull condition, etc. THEN there's the engine. You need enough power for the boat and an engine in good condition. A mechanic is better suited to tell you the condition.

THAT boat, looks kinda beat up inside (one seat?!?!? means the rest rotted out?), but the engine sounds like a good one for the boat. As i learned here, Vortec 350 engines came around 1996 so you know the engine was really upgraded within around 10 years. The Volvo-Penta drive is considered a good one. (OMC drives are the ones most say to avoid).

Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

*Newer double renforced floor

Ayuh,.....

That boat is basically Junk......

The Deck(floor) rotted out,+ instead of doing a Proper replacement,....
They put a sheet of plywood over the Trash,+ called it New....

I'd also question this "with cran cam 300HP up grade cam kit."........
A Hot-Rod Cam in a Boat is just Asking for Trouble.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i had the same impression on the deck.

jpeaslee

Recruit

Thanks for all the info so far. If i sound reluctant to advice, I'm not, I just like to make sure I get the whole scoop first. As far as the seats are concerned, I'm not. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any problems recovering the vinyl. Seats, i could probably build something, or find something from a salvage yard, or actually spend a little at a boating store and get some. Here's what's said in the second e-mail I got:

"When they put in the new floor for the pole they tore out the old wrap around seating so all that is left is the back deck and the drivers chair normally people just stand some one drives another one or two will ride there boads sometimes I used to use one of those folding canvas chairs so some one could sit faceing rear or a cooler so that the driver did not have to turn to look or use the mirror. but you could easily make a bench seat in the back if you wanted or buy one of those fancy seats from west marine. So since the boat was used profesonaly they only wanted space for borads and gear not seats so they where taken out. But with the pole and braces in place and you are wake boarding you will like it better with out the seats I thought the same when I bought it why did they take them out and I was going to put them back in but I used it mainly for wake boarding and soon found that it was more practical to have the floor space. I am not sure if you heard of them but the boat was once owned by extream planet (located in manderin) and they used it in compitions in orlando up untill they bought there ski nautique then it was sold to my friend who used to go with them on occasions, then I bought it from him, I also knew the guy from extrem planet he was the one who gave me the fat sack they used to use in it along with some other things. And it will come with the boat but it is only the blader but hold more water that way and works better in the location used on the boat. Also I will throw in a rope & a old extream planet board bag is camo with back straps. As for the price I am really looking to get sold since my mom and dad are on me about there yard and I am building a garage at my house so there is no where to keep it and also I have too little time to use it and keep it maintained so if you want it and plan to use it I can make you a really good deal on it. I would like to see some one use it for wake boarding since it is such a good boat for it. Any way there are many things about it but if you are serious make me an offer on it or tell me what you can come up with I will take into consideration any reasonible offer for it."

The pro wakeboard stuff sounds a little made up to me, but doesn't really matter to me either way. Does that replacing the floor for the pole story make any sense, or is that some sort of excuse?

Bondo

Staff member

I have too little time to use it and keep it maintained

Ayuh,......

Now it sounds even More like Junk......

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

No seat for someone to watch the towed person while the driver pays attention to driving? Rough looking modifications? Allusions to "high performance people had it"? Don't walk, run.

If they treated the hull that badly then the chances are the rest has been treated badly too.

bhammer

Ensign

I agree, sounds like somehting you do NOT want as your first boat. If you are interested in that price range, there are lots of boats that would come more prepared and ready to go. If you are serious about this one, then get a survey done on the boat. I'd bet that the transom has some rot in it.
If you know what you are looking for, go for it and check the compressions on the engine as well if no rot is found.

I went and looked at one a couple months back. I took my awl and compression gauge. The guy said not rot in his add but when I wanted to poke around with it, he started telling me about soft spos around the transom spot. Sure enough, it was rotted pretty bad. Didn't need to go further in the engine.

redfury

Commander

I agree, sounds like somehting you do NOT want as your first boat. If you are interested in that price range, there are lots of boats that would come more prepared and ready to go. If you are serious about this one, then get a survey done on the boat. I'd bet that the transom has some rot in it.
If you know what you are looking for, go for it and check the compressions on the engine as well if no rot is found.

I went and looked at one a couple months back. I took my awl and compression gauge. The guy said not rot in his add but when I wanted to poke around with it, he started telling me about soft spos around the transom spot. Sure enough, it was rotted pretty bad. Didn't need to go further in the engine.

Interesting how the truth comes out once you start "poking around"...literally :lol:

I'd be wary of this boat also. The double reinforced floor not only sounds like a "cover up" job, but also a lot of extra unneeded weight.

There is a personal discovery I've made, and that is this..." no one boat has ever been designed to do everything you want it to do " Meaning, a fish and ski, is usually better off being a ski boat. A cuddy is best left for cruising/overnight on the water. A ski boat isn't a good boat to fish out of , and a bass boat is best left in the shallows. Sure, you can take a bass boat out into 3 foot rollers, but you are certain to get wet, and a cuddy can pull a skier and a 16ft lund with a 50hp can pull a tube.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to resist your impulses and emotions and think with your brain and common sense to the best of your ability. And one other thing to consider....if you buy this boat and decide you want something else....how are you going to market this boat and resell it to another person in your very same shoes?