What else?

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Getting everything together to swap engines and am thinking about anything else that I should do relative to the drive and so forth while I've got the engine out. I'm planning to redo the bilge, glass some gracks and chips etc... when I move the front engine mounts, put in with new rear mounts (thanks guys), etc...

Lower shift cable? Probably about time for one and assuming would be much easier to do with everything out of the way,

Anything else on the drive or drive assembly that makes sense to service or redo while I've got the drive and engine both out?

It's a 1988 version alpha 1.

Thanks.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: What else?

I've not been following your swap so I don't know what you are swapping... but one thing is to make sure the transom itself is solid as a rock - no soft or "hollow" sounding spots. Rebuilding a transom is never fun, but if you need to... now is the time to find out.

Also, while the engine is out, with everything done on the engine, it might be a good idea to coat the entire bottom of the engine with a corrosion guard type of spray. There are various brands out there. It certainly helps protect things, especially if you are in a salt environment. Heck here in SW Florida, even the air is salty and will rust up good stainless steel! ;) I spray and protect everything I can. (It's always interesting to see people move here from up "North" and launch their boat on their shiny new painted steel trailer and think they can keep it shiny new by simply "rinsing it off." But I digress :D )

Good luck on the swap! (And yes, I would vote "yes" on replacing the shift cable while you're at it).

Oh yeah, also check the condition of the two bottom bolts that hold the transom assembly on. They are made of aluminum, or some similar alloy, and can corrode into nothing. Easy to change now - have to pull the engine in order to change them later.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Cool, and thanks. Transom should be solid. I thought hard about that, tapped on it a lot and removed screws and drilled a little bigger to see if wet wood came out (refilling with resin). I'll check it again and more closely once I pull the engine (and when I check the foam filled boxes on either side of the engine mounts) and lower bolts as well. I've alread checked the foam and so forth under the floor to be sure dry and made a few reandom cuts / drills to check the balsa core... I would hate to go to all the work / trouble of putting new (bigger) engine in boat with a rotten hull / transom...

Engine is a new build, painted with 2-part zinc chromate primer (Dupont / nason) and then 2 part urethane (dupont / nason again). Oil pan also coated with rubberized undercoating to help with corrosion. All bare aluminum (polished imco's enroute), chrome and brass are being etched and coated wirh por15 clear.

I spend a lot of time in brackish and some in fresh water. Only get in heavy salt once in a while...

OH, and swapping 4.3 out and 383 in...

MikDee

Banned

How's your exhaust flappers? and Y-pipe? are you keeping it in there, or blocking it off, and going thru-hull exhaust? Make sure your starter, & drive coupler, are real good, or new. Finally, you might want to put a quick release valve on the oilpan, to drain your oil under the engine, or a hose through the transom drain plug (it's gotta be easier then pumping it out of the dipstick!)

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Good thoughts...

exhaust going with through hull, but extended to the outer edges of the transom and above the waterline, still will have flappers in the tips, and much of the extension to the sides will be mufflers (like the sounds of healthhy v-8, but don't want to upset the quieter folk more than necessary). Y pipe coming out and blocking plate going in. Actualy wanted to go with diverters, but there simply isn't room and neede dlonger risers to deal with cam overlap anyhow.

Dive coupler was new last year, but still thinking about putting a new one once I look at the one in it now, Starter is used, but inspected and looks good insude, also have a couple spares (all marine spec of course)

Oil pan log replaced with hose that will reach the drain hole in the transom... I don't like not being able to see what comes out of the bottom...

Thanks!