Voltage Regulator

sdbeachguy2002

Recruit
I have a 1986 V6 Mercury outboard. A few months ago I went to start the boat and the battery was slow, so I attached a power pack to battery to help turn over the engine. Unfortunately I attached the wires red, to black and black to red. No sparks, but after I realized the mistake I reattached the cables and the engine started and ran. Unfortunately, the Voltage meter showed that I was not charging. The next weekend I replaced the voltage rectifier, and now the voltage reads 12.5 volts at 1000 RPM and 15 volts at 3000 RPM. I suspect that the voltage regulator was has harmed when I attached the batter cable in the wrong polarity. Is it common to be making 15 volts at 3000 rpm, the battery is charged and working fine; however I am worried I might be over charging the battery. The down side is the voltage regulator is $165, so I don't want to replace it unless I have to.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Voltage Regulator

I believe that they charge between 14 & 15 volts at speed.
You should be ok. Most cars charge at voltages in this range.

Phunahm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Voltage Regulator

Due to other circumstances Im having the same issue 150 XR2 @ "16.2 volts @1200rpm" and mine never ever got over 13.8 volts at any rpm I bet your regulator is bad .....I was lucky enough to get one on Ebay for 10.00 bux..used low hours but for 10 bux if it works it saves me over a hundred if not its only 10 bux it wont break me....