"new" '57 evinrude 7.5 hp pics, etc.

jbjennings

Captain
here's a few pics of an old '57 evinrude I picked up in nice shape. I do think the clutch is going out in it. I ran the poop out of it today but felt about 3 times that I believe it barely slipped. A good motor though. I just hate the thought of taking apart a well-sealed lower unit to replace a clutch/ poss. gears. Here's a pic of my HD-25 too. Cranks easy!:)
JBJ

Attachments

• HD-25.jpg
    HD-25.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.5 evin3.jpg
    7.5 evin3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.5 evin2.jpg
    7.5 evin2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.5 evin.jpg
    7.5 evin.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: "new" '57 evinrude 7.5 hp pics, etc.

Nice little motors J. It's sort of hard to believe that they have the same model numbers for 1946 - 1950 for that little hd-25 Johnson Sea horse. What kind of boat are you running the little 7.5hp on? I wouldn't mind having a little project motor around the same year and size to piddle with, but I have my hands full now as it is. They are slowly showing progress though :). I had the little 1970 9.5hp running the other day with the foot off of it and water hose attached, sounded nice :D.

By the way I got that gasket material you told me to get for the pressure tank, I just got to take it back a part and install it. It looks like I'll be able to keep the tank also as for the one who is interested in the 5.5hp motor already has a tank for it. Thanks again by the way.

On with the thread :).

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Great motor, JB! Don't forget that, if your gears have not been cut previously, you may not have to junk them, even if they have been worn by the clutch dog.

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks guys, I'm pleased with it, too.
It's a '69 14ft long 32" wide duracraft. Runs GREAT with a 10hp, o.k. with one person with the 7.5. Those 7.5's are very smooth running and easy on the petrol, however.
Jay, how do you refinish your gears??? Take them to a machinist? I heard some machinists can re-caseharden them!?? You got me interested....
Later,
JBJ

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

When a clutch dog wears and "rounds off," it may or may not do the same to the matching surface on the affected gear - which is usually the forward gear. Merely replacing a clutch dog when this is the case is a temporary fix at best, because the worn, rounded off gear surface will eventually damage the new dog.

By sending the gear to a machine shop, or someone with the proper equipment and knowledge, the worn area can be cut with a drill bit. What is done is to lay the gear on its back, with the "teeth" facing upwards. This exposes the tabs (matching surface for the dog's tab) on the inside portion of the gear, to a drill bit placed in a drill press. The gear has to be held firmly in place so that the rounded off portion on the tab can be cut out. Essentially what is done is to cut half of a shallow hole in the edge of the tab. As you might imagine, the drill bit wants to wander off of the desired drilling point because it is only cutting into material on one side - this makes things a bit tricky and that is why the job needs to be done by someone with the necessary tools and skill.

As far as I know, this is pretty much a one time deal. I'm not going to say that it can never be done twice but, if so, I've never heard of anyone doing so. None-the-less, it can save a lot of money in repair costs, because new gear sets for these old motors are prohibitively expensive .... if you can even find one. The alternative is, of course, to find a decent used set and that is often a tall order too.

If you need to get this done to your motor, just ask your local OMC/BRP dealer who they send their jobs to - there will probably be someone near you.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Clutch dogs don't wear and "barely slip". When they wear, you know it. You get a pronounced "ka-chunk", like you hit something in the water. If it is just slipping, without a noise involved, it may be a slipping propeller clutch, or possibly a worn or broken slip clutch. Those lower units have a two piece driveshaft, with the lower portion being a spring slip clutch that was used in place of a rubber hub on the prop. Doesn't mean someone hasn't replaced with a newer style prop that does have a hub capable of slipping, so check all of it...
- Scott

wbeaton

Commander

Beautiful motor, JBJ. The emblems are very nice. Looks like it pushes your boat pretty good, too. Is it a flat bottom boat?