Tongue weight and tow package

Sinko

Seaman
Just picked up a 1990 Sunbird Corsica 175 on a decent trailer. A couple of things I noticed when I picked it up. I can basically lift the tongue with 2 fingers...obviously to light. What weight would be appropriate and how to measure (feel?)? Boat seems to be sitting back on the trailer. It's on a bunk with an additional roller under the haul near the front. It's about 5 inches ahead of the hull. Move the boat forward?

Last thing...the boat package weights around 2500lbs, how quick is my Ford escape going to burn out towing this thing around?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tongue weight and tow package

Yes, move it forward until you have 200-250lbs on the tongue. The easiest way to weigh it is with a bathroom scale. Put a board between the scale and the jack wheel so you don't break it. Move your winch stand forward a few inches at a time, weighing it each time. It is very easy to move the boat up on a bunk trailer, but harder to push it back when on land. Look at your owners manual for your specific towing specifications. You will probably be ok, but be aware that the weak link in an Escape will be the transmission if automatic. If so, a tranny cooler is a must.

Sinko

Seaman

perfect thanks! The max is 300lbs on the tongue so it should work out perfect. The truck does have a cooler which gives me a bit more confidence

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Does your trailer have brakes? If not, *DON'T* underestimate the increased stopping distance, it might surprise you the first time you need to stop quickly.

How did you determine the 2500lbs?
Reason for asking is, if the seller told you that, I just flat wouldn't believe it - after all, look at how unbalanced they had it loaded.

If it's a manufacturer spec, it probably excludes gasoline (6.25 lbs per gallon), batteries (45 or 50 lbs apiece), ski's, boards, coolers full of ice cold beverages, accessories added by prior owners, etc. Could be 1000 lbs understated.

Move the boat a little at a time - a couple inches can make a pretty big difference. If you end up needing to move it back, strap the transom eyes to a tree and drive forward.

Sinko

Seaman

Good points. It's difficult to find info on the boat specs and the manufacturer Sunbird isn't around anymore. I found a site that gave the boat a 2000lb weight. Trailer I guessed at 500lbs. 3500lbs is creeping up fast with some of your points. The trailer does not have brakes and I did feel the boat pushing the truck when I was brining it home (plus the tongue weight haden't been corrected). I'll get it sorted today. I am nervous with the overall capacity of my Escape. Don't have any other option to pull at this time.
The truck automatically goes into overdrive, I'm assuming I should disengage that every time I tow the boat correct?

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I think you should take it out of overdrive, on my ford's it says to do so only when the transmission is frequently shifting or unlocking from overdrive. I assuming this is what your escape is doing. Second brakes are a great idea. It will feel a ton safer and will safe your escape brakes. Adding a surge brake system shouldn't set you back to much.

Lastly if you just don't feel the escape is up to it, they are practically giving away Explorers right now. You could trade and get a much better tow vehicle. You will give up 4 or 5 mpgs in the process.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

my experience, a tongue-light trailer will sway like crazy; tongue-heavy will shake the truck.

On towing in OD, follow the instructions in the manual - in most cases you want to lock out OD in hilly terrain and maybe in heavy traffic. Any time it's "hunting".

My opinion, towing at or near the limit of its capacity is probably hard on the vehicle, but really your main concern would be stopping it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

my experience, a tongue-light trailer will sway like crazy; tongue-heavy will shake the truck.

On towing in OD, follow the instructions in the manual - in most cases you want to lock out OD in hilly terrain and maybe in heavy traffic. Any time it's "hunting".

My opinion, towing at or near the limit of its capacity is probably hard on the vehicle, but really your main concern would be stopping it.

+1 I agree 100%

Sinko

Seaman

Moved the boat forward today (about 6 inches) and still found it light on the tongue...maybe 100lbs. Is my next option moving the axle back a bit? Any tips on doing that?

Weighed the boat and trailer today (3/4 full of gas) at a recycling station and it came in at 1420 kg, sorry for the metric, it equals around 3120 lbs which brings it darn close to my 3500 lb limit.

I will look into after market brake options but not likely a choice for me at this time. Explorer's not a bad idea but the coin and gas will be a tough sell on the wife.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

taking it to the scale, good move, no more estimating. 11% margin, you'll be fine - just being aware counts for a lot.

moving the axle - what a hassle. if you have 7% or even 5% of the weight on the tongue, I'd call it good, if it handles ok.