wiring a skeeter

bullfrogjim

Recruit
Just bought a new to me Skeeter SS140XL. There isnt a locator at the bow and I would like to install one. How and where do I run the wiring to power it and how do I retrofit the transducer?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: wiring a skeeter

welcome to the forum!

You can rewire a skeeter, but be aware that first the skeeter has to want to be rewired.

:D :D sorry, just couldn't resist :D :D

First, is there a control panel already in the bow? Reason for asking is, to find out if there's already any wires run up through there. If you can, pull a switch out of the panel and disconnect a wire. To the end of this wire, securely attach with electrical tape, a red and a black wire, and a piece of string. If you have some 80lb test powerpro lying around, that'd be great. Find a spot, maybe under the helm, where you can access the wire you disconnected, and very carefully pull it to you. Remove the electrical tape.

You have just finished running the power wires for your fishfinder. Now, attach securely to the string with more electrical tape, the wire you disconnected from the panel and (if you're mounting the 'ducer in the stern instead of on the trolling motor) the plug end of the transducer cable. Pull it back to the front.

If your FF has a single plug for the ducer and power, I'm sure you can figure out how to modify the above procedure.

You'll have to find a spot on the bow to drill a hole to stick the FF wires through, and find a grommet to finish it out nice - Lowes & home depot have those over in the bins with the specialty hardware.

If you have a unit in the helm with the ducer in the stern, you might be able to run both simultaneously without crosstalk if you mount this 'ducer to the T/M.

You're going to connect the power wires from the FF to the red & black you just ran up front, using butt connectors and a good quality crimping tool, then pull the excess wire back through and cut to length, add your inline fuse holder and ring terminals, yada yada yada.

bullfrogjim

Recruit

jtexas-
you mention wiring the new locator in tandem with existing FF. Sounds complicated! I understand how to run wire from bow to helm, thanx. But how does a novice splice into existing transducer. The FF at helm is a lowrance and I would like to install an FF/GPS unit at the bow. By the way my lowrance viewing lense is slightly clouded, any ideas on cleaning lense?
Thanx bullfrogjim

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sorry I wasn't clear. when I said run 'em both, I meant have both switched on at the same time. "Crosstalk" is when you have 2 transducers on at the same time, and neither one can distinguish it's own signals from the other - both screens get cluttered with giberish.

If you have a stern-mounted transducer and a bow-mounted transducer, there might be enough distance between them, to where they can both function normally. Lot of boats mounting a transducer on the trolling motor nowadays. Some just use a big cable tie or something, but there are some mounting kits on the market that look a bit more secure.

I don't think two FF can run off one transducer - maybe lowrance has a signal splitter kind of device or something.

If you just want to throw out the existing unit, the new one will only work with the existing transducer if they are compatible models of the same manufacturer. If the plugs look the same, it's probably ok. Otherwise you have to replace the 'ducer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've seen transducer switches that allow you to run EITHER transducer, but not both at the same time. Two transducers in parallel would mess with the electronics (it's an impedance/resistance issue).

bullfrogjim

Recruit

It sure would be nice to get same info ( from single transducer ) on two seperate FFs, so it would'nt matter if you were at the bow or the helm.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Isn't that what I just suggested? You can use one transducer to feed two locators, but you can only run one at a time and it requires a transducer switch. Lowrance/Eagle have them. Check Cabela's or right here on iBoats. Both FF and the transducer, and the switch must be compatible.