1962 sea king question

offtheshore

Cadet
Hi i have a 1962 sea king 3hp..... I was woundering why it does not have a choke? Instead you turn a knob to start it..... why didnt the make it with a choke back then? is this a better design? can someone explain to me how this works ...... how does this help it to start?
thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1962 sea king question

Model number, please. It should be on a plate or sticker somewhere around the transom mount.

Is this an air-cooled model? You can tell if you can see fins on the cylinder when you look at it from underneath.

Is there any lettering near the knob? What does it say?

We need more information. A photo would be nice, but a model number will do.

offtheshore

Cadet

Model # GG18735B

Seriel # 26X84496

It is not AIR cooled

a54d_12.JPG

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, it sure isn't. That's a Gale-built outboard.

When you start it, are you supposed to turn the knob and hold it in a position, then let it go? If so, your carburetor has a little plunger that pushes the float down when you turn the knob, essentially flooding the engine a little. There'll be a little lever on the back side of the knob that does that.

It's an alternative to a choke. Both ways provide a rich mixture to help start a cold engine. Most two-stroke motorcycles from the 50s and 60s used a similar system, but there was a button on the carb's float chamber that you'd hold down until you saw some gas come out.

Nothing wrong with the flooding system at all, unless you do it too much or do it when the engine's warm. It makes for a simpler carburetor (read cheaper), too.

For future reference, it's always best to include a model number each time you start a new thread on this forum. It saves time for everyone.

Now, are you having trouble with this engine?

offtheshore

Cadet

no it runs perfect....I was just curious as to why it didnt have a choke like i am used to seeing on the newer outboards? Thank you for answering my question..... for the year it is i think it runs great..... Just curious how long will these out boards last? where they built well

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is about the simplest carburetor you will ever find. Once you get used to the primer system, you can just about count on it cold-starting on the first pull.

They will last a long time if taken care of and not overheated. There is the rub: Grease leaking out of the lower unit causes the rubber water pump impeller (properly called a "rotor") to swell, then it doesn't pump enough water. There was a design goof-up for the grease seal. The seal is pressed into the shaft bearing which is made of porous oilite material. So, grease oozes out through the oilite bearing, right past the seal. I have a way to fix that if anybody is interested.

CATransplant

Admiral

FR: That's a cute sort of an outboard, in a comical way. It looks like an older design than 1962, though. How far back does the design go? What's the equivalent model in Johnson or Evinrude?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well the basic design came out in the 1940s. The lower unit and cowling was changed around 1950. I could give the exact years if it is important. Here is my 1958

Attachments

• Buccaneer.jpg
    Buccaneer.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0

iamhendrix1226

Recruit

I would like to know your fix for the seal because I have the same motor and my impeller is swollen and wont pump water, also where can I find a replacement impeller for this motor? thanks