Mercruiser 3.0l starts idles but splutters ?

inchman

Cadet
hi, ive just got my engine back together after having the valves reground. the boat starts and idles no problem, if i rev it quicky it revs but when i try to accelerate easy it sputters and nearly dies out. Ive new plugs, new points,all set as per manual. Has anybody any ideas whats causing this problem? its a 1988 engine.

cheers Gary

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.0l starts idles but splutters ?

Has anybody any ideas whats causing this problem?

Ayuh,......

I'd be looking at the Carb,........

inchman

Cadet

hi i took the carb apart it seemed quite clean apart for dirt in the ball valve in the accelarator pump chamber. put it back on and it runs great and revs up, but ive got a miss fire at about 3000rpm, ive neew plugs and thet look great after running, the missfire seems electrical. anybody any suggestions. would a blast resistor on the way out give this problem?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you adjust the lifters properly? Dwell set correctly? Timing set correctly? Carb adjusted correctly?

inchman

Cadet

i pulled the distribuator out and checked it out.. ive 0.008 of play in the shaft. i set my points closed and that is how much they opened when i wolbbled the shaft. is this far too much play and the cause of my misfire

Bondo

Staff member

this far too much play and the cause of my misfire

Ayuh,....... It could very well Be......