Looking at Explorer/Mountaineer with AWD (Late 90s)

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I think been using my 94 Chevy S10 / 4.3/ 4x4 / 5 speed to tow my boats for about a year. This is a great overall truck, however it just does not have the power to climb a hill. I have been reading the forums and see people using this type of setup for 3000 - 4000 lbs and cant belive it. I am only towing 2500 lbs. Maybe the later year chevy 4.3 has allot more juice, but I just can't take it anymore.

I am looking at some late 90's Ford/Mercs with the 5.0 and AWD. Can anyone give me some advice on these? I have heard some negatives about the transmissions on the 4.0 4x4/s, are the 5.0 AWD transmissions the same in respect to thier build and quality? Does this combo have the trans cooler standard?

I am looking at some 97 and 98's with 90K miles for under $4K.

Thanks for any advice.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking at Explorer/Mountaineer with AWD (Late 90s)

If you are having trouble towing 2500# with a 4.3 S10 one of two things are going on. 1) you have a very wrong axle ratio and the five speed doesn't help, or 2) you are way over 2500#. I tow that weight (walleye boat) with my S10 crewcab in overdrive (3.73 gears).

bugeyestp

Cadet

I had a 98 Mountaineer 2wd 5.0. I believe the tow package includes a tranny cooler, in regards to the vehicle itself if it were a AWD I would still have it... I sold mine with 105k mi, I had zero trouble withit. I was pulling 5k pounds and it had plenty of power w 5.0, a little light in the rear though, slick roads its very easy to get loose. A friend went to grocery store in it ,on damp roads, she lost it and got TBoned:eek: 6000$ later she was good as new..
Defineatly get a AWD 5.0, v6 may also work well if, you are not towing all the time and will get a lil better gas mileage.
I got 12 mpg around town with a heavy foot:rolleyes:
Good Luck:D

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was concerned about the weight of the boat, so I had it weighed at a public scale and came in at 2580 lbs.

On the 5 speed, I need to look at the window sticker as I still have it. I will get back to you with the gears.

BTW, your S10 Crew Cab most likely has more power. Mine is a 1994 with about 160hp I belive, yours could have 190hp and more torque.

On the Ford/Merc, my concerns were with the tranny, I have heard about these as being weak. Also, I need to back my boat up a steap drive to park it next to my gargage. Is this an issue, using reverse to push a boat up a driveway? I guess I am asking becuase I would think that a solid tranny was built to go forward, but reverse might be a weak spot.

Thanks again,

MS

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Try and find the engine code. If your truck has a "W" series engine it is a balance shaft motor and is the higher output motor. If it is a "Z" series its the lower HP model. Either way, axle ratio's are the thing people most overlook when buying a tow vehicle. It takes a lot of HP to overcome a poor selection. Automatics are also preferred for towing as the torque multiplication (over 2:1) in the torque coverter allows an automatic to start a load easier. That torque multiplication disappears once underway however.

Fingernip

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 1994 W code 4.3 was the strongest of the 4.3s at 200hp. It may just be a numbers game though in the marketing department. My old astro had a W code 4.3 and it was noticably peppier than my 97 vortec astro.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 5.0 engine / tranny combo is the best for the explorer in my opinion. I have a 96 AWD model and love it, though I just bought a 2000 Eddie Bauer without the AWD. The 96 AWD pulled a 3500 lb boat with no problems at all. THe 2wd version pulls it with no problems too, and handles a little nicer around town. I didnt need the AWD cause it never snows here. The AWD gave me approx 15 MPG, the 2WD is giving me just under 18mpg

M@ 4T

Cadet

Ive got a 99 ford explorer sport 2 door, its a 5 speed with a 4.0 6 cyl. Im pullin a 17' Arrow glass 5.2 sport on the bumper and I cant complain. Be a lot better off with trailer brakes but still an excellent tow ride. not to mention the MPG in the 20's.

jljue

Cadet

I had a '97 Mountaineer 2wd, and the 302 and 4R70W transmission would pull anything and everything. I ended up selling it to get an F-150 because the 24' pontoon boat was "wagging the dog", if you know what I mean. Overall, I'd probably still be driving it if I didn't get that pontoon boat. My dad is still driving it, though.