Really cool old motors

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Really cool old motors

Cool stuff, but way overpriced. For example, that Elto Pal. I was at an AOMCI meet last year, and saw three of the things. None were over $500, and they looked just as good. They had them running, too.

If you like antique outboards, visit www.aomci.org. They have classified ads, where you can find all sorts of the old two strokers. Better yet, join up and start going to their meets. You'll drool...and you'll probably buy something and restore it yourself.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I was going to say, he must have made those starting bids himself! lol

Nice motors, but as stated, overpriced.

I guess for people where money is no object, would make nice collectibles without the grease and labour. In my opinion though, it is the labour that I love.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

"Really cool (and hard find parts for) old motors". I seen 4 of them on Ebay unrestored (somewhat rough condition) all in one lot, I think they went for $200 maybe a hair more.

CATransplant

Admiral

I was going to say, he must have made those starting bids himself! lol

Nice motors, but as stated, overpriced.

I guess for people where money is no object, would make nice collectibles without the grease and labour. In my opinion though, it is the labour that I love.

I suppose there's an attraction to having outboards you don't run, that are polished up far beyond how they looked when new. It doesn't appeal to me, frankly.

Almost 40 years ago, when I was in college, I bought a little 8' dinghy to row around on the bay near where I lived. Then one day I was at a garage sale, and saw this outboard motor there. Two cylinders, exposed, with a cute aluminum gas tank. $15. I bought it, mixed up some fuel and oil, I think it was 20:1 because that was the mix on an old motorcyle I used to own.

Wrapped the rope a couple of times and pulled it. About the third time, it fired up. so I stuck it on my boat and putted around the bay.

Well, later on, I found out it was a Johnson from the 1920s. It was cool, but the guy who identified it at the bar I had tied up to offered me $125 for it, so I rowed the boat home.

Outboards are for powering boats.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I'm not buying just thought they looked cool.
I have enough things to spend my money on as it is, prom is this weekend you know.