OMC Chevy 350: Cooling Sys.

oceanpotion

Seaman Apprentice
I want to check out my cooling system on my 1970 OMC Chevy 350. I found a diagram for a 1985 and have read a couple other posts. I want to look at my impeller and see if it is all there. How can I verify that water is getting pulled by my impeller?

I also want to check my water pump and themostat. I know how to check the Tstat but I dont know how to make sure the water pump is pumping. Ive never done a water pump so I dont even know what it looks like.

And finally, if the impeller checks out and the water pump checks out how can I verify that water is making it through everywhere it needs to go?

??
CHEVCOOL.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC Chevy 350: Cooling Sys.

I started to reply earlier and chickened out. Not sure I want to get into it that far. Cause I am just not an OMC stringer person, but, here is what I see.
You have a 1970 OMC stringer drive setup. With Merc manifolds that hook up to the cooling system unlike anything OMC did. To make matters worse, there are 4 out of the 5 hoses on you cooling system that run off to someplace that can't be seen by anyone here
Now if you can post where the hoses go that are on that thermostat housing, you might get some help.
The 2 red hoses on the Tstat housing. where does the Left and right hoses go.
Then there are the 2 smaller black hoses. Where do they go.
We can see where the big one goes. To the circulation pump.
Your sea water pump and impeller are in the drive. Did you dissassemlbe and inspect it?