Still thinking of buying this UPDATE! Its in the driveway

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
I have been talking to the seller and i think i can get it for around 300 to 400 bucks.
Only drawback is no trailer title.
Includes a new cover,battery,fuel tanks,2 seat pedestals and an extra console that is new but never installed.It does need a starter.
I thought i would show a couple pics and get some input.Its a 15ft Bomber with a 55 HP Johnson.
DSC_00081.jpg

DSC_00051.jpg

DSC_00061.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Still thinking of buying this

register the trailer as a u built......

gary....at that price, you could go to jail for theft :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i told you to buy the last one, and look what you got.

Nandy

Commander

register the trailer as a u built......

That is NOT going to work in NC. To register a trailer as home built you have to take it to a DMV inspector. If it dont look home made and you dont have receipts from the parts you bought they will not allow you to register it like that. In nc registering a trailer is almost as serious as registering a car. In the other hand, I have a friend that have been driving for years with no license plate on his trailer and have never been stopped. My 2 trailers are similar with no vin on it so I just move my tag from trailers.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The NC DMV is really tough.I will do the tag swapping from my other trailer if i buy it..;)If it has never been registered in NC i may have a chance at getting it titled..The home made deal never works in this state.
The seller is supposed to meet me Saturday so i can look it over.
If the motor checks out i'll drag it home..
Looks like a big live well on one side?

It is a good price even if i part it out..
Yep,TD told me to buy the Chris Craft and i did...lol!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I like it.... small simple! Good luck on getting it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Bob,Thats what i was thinking.
I could leave it at the lake in the storage area and not worry about it.
That way i could tow the travel trailer down and the boat will already be there.
I think it would make a good one or two person fishing rig..
That 55 should push it pretty well..

tashasdaddy

all you need are some milk crates to sit on.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

LOL!! TD, He is throwing in 2 pedestal seats but the covers look bad.I'll throw some Walmart seats in and be good to go.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get a notorized bill of sale on the trailer, then if you want to register it you will need to get a warrantee bond from an insurance Co for $50.00 or so and go to DMV. Hopefully you will not end up with a hard head who will try to run you through the ringer for nothing. Then in about 6 months they can issue a clear title. Are you sure there are no vin numbers on the trailer. Check closely including the axle. There may not be any, but they also may be hidden.

MikDee

Banned

LOL TD! I used to do this often, put a flotation cushion on top, and you're good to go!

Buy the boat already Gary,,, if it checks out good, and you don't, you're nuts
If it was near me I'd buy it in a minute!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Definitely buy it. Looks like a fun fishing rig. I do the same trailer thing here in PA. My trailer plate, registration, and VIN are all from a trailer that rusted into the earth years ago.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Get a notorized bill of sale on the trailer, then if you want to register it you will need to get a warrantee bond from an insurance Co for $50.00 or so and go to DMV. Hopefully you will not end up with a hard head who will try to run you through the ringer for nothing. Then in about 6 months they can issue a clear title. Are you sure there are no vin numbers on the trailer. Check closely including the axle. There may not be any, but they also may be hidden.
Yes it has a VIN stamped on it.Without a title the bill of sale is no good.If the VIN shows on the DMV computer that is was ever registered in NC they will not Title it.
I have a jet ski trailer with a Florida bill of sale and they will not title it either.
Been through all of this several times with NC DMV.
I have talked to the people in Raleigh at the DMV home office and got nowhere with them. Its a real PIA in this state!

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sent you a pm, and I would buy it.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I'll echo concerns aobut the trailer, etc... see if any way the owner can trace it back and apply for lost title or something if you can. I've had nothing but problems with a similar trailer mess... to the point where I'm gong to try one more time with the dmv and then give up and just look for a cheap trailer...

I'm still having a hassle on trailer issues after 8 months... no title... vin number didn't pop up in the state database as having been registered before, etc... ( got the idea that the guy never drove it on the road further than a short stint from his river house to the ramp every year he put it in...). I bought it from a local pokice officer.

The very abvbreviated version to date: Did the indeminity bond thing, had inspector out at the house a couple times, got a new vin assigned and stamped it on, two more versions of indeminty bond to get exactly what the inspector said had to be (Inspector was great, ins company was screwing up and people in ralrigh at dmv office live to be a pita), finally got all that together the way it was supposed to be, had the local license plate office send it to raleigh as per prescribed and very poorly publicized procedure. One piece of paperwork was wrong so had to do again... got notice in the mail a few weeks later about the bond paperwork... "does not look like original". bothe me and the lady at the plate place were like wtf!?!?! she called, they said not original, even though it WAS the original! thre my hands up because taking way too much time out of the office... going to try again in the next week or so and see what they say...

If there is ever a reason i would move from beautiful Eastern North carolina, it'll likely be dealing with the dmv... this is only one, and by far not the worst of several hassles I've had with the state dmv over things that should be reasonably easy to handle....

sorry for the rant... just get a title if you can... OH, and the inspector said that now that nc law had changed to require license and title for boat trailer, it was illegal to sell a trailer without a title. I think the officer got in trouble over it...

OH, and boat looks like e decent, servicable rig... I would go for it...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I know exactly how you feel wca_tim,
I have been through it twice before.I will just consider the trailer not being worth much in the deal. I'll use tags off my other trailer...:mad:
The DMV in this state is a joke! They all act like they hate their jobs and are miserable.

tashasdaddy

most are. but, it use to be job security.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Still thinking of buying this UPDATE! Its in the driveway

Well ended up dragging it home for 350 bucks.
Lower gear lube looks good.
I tried a compression test with a pull start rope...:( Thats was a pain.
With the motor cold and pulling the rope i got 90 psi on one and about 93 on the other.
The starter is totally dead.I jump 12 volts direct to the starter and nothing.No click,no hum or anything.
I'll pull it off this evening and take it apart.
The motor looks good over all.
Looks like a Raker SS prop. The transom will need some work but i knew that.This will be a super easy Seacast candidate..I may go wood though.
The control needs some work so that needs to come apart.
The motor is a 1976, 55EL76E, Evinrude power head?
Another project begins...:D

Looked up the serial number..it is a Johnson..
Will need to find an air silencer for it too...

kennyboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Still thinking of buying this UPDATE! Its in the driveway

sounds like you got a good deal. i am kind of new to this, but i thought the lowest acceptable compression should still be over 100 psi...?