1966 33 hp johnson

tdglau

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a fishing boat with a 33hp johnson super sea horse. The steering is shot and the engine hasn't been ran in over 2 years. The guy, I trust him, said it had ran good when the steering broke on it in the late summer in 2006. What I need to know is this. What would I need to do before I try to start it besides hooking up water to it to keep it cool? What is the fuel mixture on it?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1966 33 hp johnson

Read the thread posted, it's a good one. The mix is 50:1 of gas and TC-W3 oil.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you motor has to be run in a barrel, water half way up the leg, there is not a hose adapter for it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sorry TD, but I have to disagree on the need to run this motor in a barrell. I own five outboards with the very same gear box and midsection, and every one of them can be run on a hose.

All that he has to do is to buy a rectangular "hose muff" from any marine retailer and modify it. The rubber cups can be cut with a hack saw along the long dimension. When using the modified "flusher" he needs to face the dimension that has been cut in a downward direction, butted up against the cavitation plate. The unit will leak quite a bit but that is of no consequence, because it will also supply more than enough water to the engine for proper cooling, if he turn the water supply on all the way.