wierd MotorGuild Quit Working

Athlonoved

Cadet
MotorGuide? 12-Volt, 46 lb. Thrust, 42" Shaft, Foot Control Trolling Motor

Me and my father-in-law was out fishing this past Sunday and all was well. We then decided to head back to a little cove which the water was about 4 foot deep. So I trimed up the main motor and dialed in the Motorguide to the max setting of 5 and off we went. We were about 1/2 way to our spot, which ment that I have been running full trolling motor ahead for about 5 or so mins. Then the devil took hold. While I had my foot on the switch the trolling motor just all of a sudden stoped.

I was like :eek: , what's going on. So, I then tried to step on the switch again.
Then i was like :( , I can't believe this happening on a rig that is only three or so weeks old.

Well i trimmed the main motor down just enough to get water to flow through and get out of there.

Anyone have any idea wht might be going on? I am getting power to the plug the that the trolling motor is pluged into.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: wierd MotorGuild Quit Working

Yes -- the answer is quite simple. You either blew the fuse because it is too small or the circuit breaker opened. On the highest setting the motor is drawing the most possible current. If the wiring is too small or the fuse rating is too small, it will blow. If you have an automatic reset circuit breaker, it should reset itself but even if it does, it's rating is too small. If the fuse blew, it also is too small and needs to be replaced. You also need to make sure you don't install a fuse or breaker that has a current rating higher than the ampacity of the wiring you are using. You should have 8 gauge wire minimum and preferably 6 gauge depending on how long the run of wire is.

Athlonoved

Cadet

The boat is a 2008 TRACKER? Pro Team? 175 TXW
They come factory assembled. So it would have to be factory defective.
http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/featops.cfm?boat=2833

It cant be a fuse because im getting the required voltage to the front plug. getting about 13v out of it.

I thought it might be a reset breaker to but thats not the case

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is it dead on all speeds or only on top speed? Not up much on MotorGuide, but it sure sounds like something in the controller broke.

Athlonoved

Cadet

it's dead on all speeds.

I checked with the Manf. website. they run 6 guage wire from front to back.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have power at the receptacle (would have been nice to know that by the way) then you obviously have either a mating plug issue or the problem is in the control or motor itself. You can test the motor by removing the cover on the head at the top of the shaft. Find the red and black wires that go down the shaft to the motor. Disconnect them and connect directly to 12V. If the motor runs you have a controller problem. If not, the motor went south.

Athlonoved

Cadet

If you have power at the receptacle (would have been nice to know that by the way) then you obviously have either a mating plug issue or the problem is in the control or motor itself.

As per my first post: Was explained in the last sentence.

Anyone have any idea wht might be going on? I am getting power to the plug the that the trolling motor is pluged into.