Engine shut down with strange symptoms..

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
93 Yamaha's, 200 Hp

Took my boat on a sea trial today with a prospective buyer...we had a compression check done on the engines before going out with readings posted below...

Starboard engine had the following systems before failure...
1. engine bogged slightly at higher RPM's but seemed to recover.
2. when coming off plane, engine stalled. But restarted.
3. engine alarm sounded solid and RPM guage bounced all over from 0 to 1,900 and everywhere in between yet engine continued to run smoothly.
4. With alarm sounding, engine ran a boat planed with no apparent mechanincal issues, while RPM Guage reads O and of course, alarm continued to sound.
5. During entry to Marina in no wake zone, engine stalled and would not restart. Starter sounded strong and engine was cool to the touch even after running on plane for 10-15 mins. prior to stalling. No heat light either yet alarm still sounding.

When we returned to the Marina, I pulled several spark plugs and checked for a spark. It was determined that we had no spark on several of the plugs when tested against the engine block.

Any ideas what could cause this problem...neadless to say, I did not sell the boat.

Help.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Engine shut down with strange symptoms..

Tried the search feature on this site and it helped point me in the right direction.

Found a list of things to check.....
1. Compression
2. Kill switches, boat has one on C.C. and one in upper tower.
3. Test CDI with Cd-77 peak reading meter
4. Test Stator

Am I on the right track here?

I really enjoy working on my own boat. Its a true feeling of accomplishment.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried the search feature on this site and it helped point me in the right direction.

Found a list of things to check.....
1. Compression
2. Kill switches, boat has one on C.C. and one in upper tower.
3. Test CDI with Cd-77 peak reading meter
4. Test Stator

Am I on the right track here?

I really enjoy working on my own boat. Its a true feeling of accomplishment.

I'm also in Tampa (launch a lot at Gandy ramp) and I'm far, far from an expert. I have a 2001 Yamaha 200hpdi and I got the boat last August and agree wholeheartedly that it's a good feeling to work successfully on the boat.......plus being retired it's nice to save the money.

I do know that the tech's at Jack's Interbay Marine are top notch and recommend them.

Good luck with your motor and please let us know what you find.

Tony Noriega

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a mechanic go ahead and check things out. He said that my stator was bad and needed to be replaced. A new one was ordered today and will be put on over the weekend. Hopefully all will go well.