Johnson 115 Loss of Power

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice
I have 115 Johnson and I am having problems with motor choking out when I give it power. It idles fine. When I run it the bulb has no pressure. I can run it at full power and pump the bulb and it runs smooth. I think it is the fuel pump or a pen hole leak in the fuel line. Need help so I can fish!! Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 115 Loss of Power

If you can, get a different tank and fuel line with fresh fuel and use that to make sure that your problem is not there.

There are many years of 115 models and a lot of different pumps. Tell us what you have.

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

A little better info:

Motor Specs
Manufacturer: Johnson
Model: "OCEANPRO"
Year: 2001
Horsepower: 115.0
Cylinders: 4
Type: 2 stroke
Gear Ratio: 2.00:1
Min WOT RPM: 4500
Max WOT RPM: 5500
Spline Count: 13
Drive Type: Outboard

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

I talked to a friend of mine and he said it sound like the fuel line and thinks I should take the hose out and look for leaks.

What does everyone think??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

checking for leaks, yes, maybe a weak fuel pump, my bet 99% is dirty carbs, do you use seafoam mixed into your gas? was gas left in the carbs over the winter? you should check compression if for no other reason, that to have for reference later, and spark on all 4 just atleast 1/2 inch. but my bet is carbs.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

DMAN1968

Seaman

As the cost of a new fuel line is relatively inexpensive, I would just go get a new one and try it out. If it works, great. If not, you then have a spare and can move on to the next possibility.

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

I will check the fuel line first then I will clean the carbs.

Thanks

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

I changed out the fuel filter and it is running fine. Knock on wood. Thanks for all the info and I look forward to talking more about future projects.