Engine Flushing

cemiiii

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 2007 Johnson 9.9 which is the same as the Suzuki DF10.

I bought the recommended flushing attachment from BRP, part #5031537.
I can't figure out how to attach it to a hose? Obviously, you remove the flushing screw from the lower unit and screw one end in. But the other end is fairly small and only has a small lip on it. How do you attach this to a garden hose? It has no threads. I feel stupid with many years of boating experience but this most simple rudimentary thing does not seem to be explained in either my owner's or full service manual. go figure. Believe it or not, I called my local BRP dealer and the service guy either couldn't or wouldn't answer my question.

Chris

Also, is there any other type of flush attachment for this engine that is a more simplified system. I find it hard to believe in this day and age that you need to remove your prop assembly and tape off the intake every time you flush your engine?

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine Flushing

Just make your self short flushing jig from old piece of hose
the flushing attachment will fit inside of 1/2 garden hose
then put clamp around it. I use fast coupling on the other end to connect to
my regular garden hose. ( one of those that you couple spray gun or sprinkler)

cemiiii

Seaman Apprentice

thanks lifeisfun,

they didn't tell me when i bought a $2500 engine that i'd have to order cross country to get a part that could be used to fabricate my own part to make it work!

life is fun!

chris

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess they thought that you'll be dedicated owner and cut your garden hose without any hesitation :)

awthacker

Cadet

Sorry to revive an old thread, but most of what I needed to know about flushing my DF4 was found here. My question... should I remove the flush attachment during normal operation and reinstall it each time I flush, or should I just leave it threaded in for convenience? Seems to me like the engine might leak water through the attachment (or allow air into the cooling system) if I don't remove it each time. I'm thinking the thing to do would be to make the jig with the scrap garden hose, permanently clamped to the flush attachment, and just get the screwdriver and dangle out over the edge of the dock hoping not to drop any parts, and do this every time I flush. However it would be more convenient to leave the attachment in the engine permanently and just clamp the hose on when needed. BTW, flushing in a drum is not an option for me, as the motor stays on the jonboat down on the dock. Thanks

Last edited: