blowing fuses

josh studenny

Recruit
I have a 2002 185 sea ray and can't figure out why the fuse under the dash keeps blowing when i try to turn the buldge pump on. I know that its suppost to be a 7.5 amp fuse and also everything else on the boat works when i tried it. I checked the connection on the battery and it's ok. I payed for it to get winterized last year and this spring had some regular maint. done(remove outdrive check engine alignment and greese gimbal bearing and u-joints) but they never fired it up. I runs perfect and like i said everything else works, just wondering if maby there is a connection or ground that i cant see thats loose.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer
Re: blowing fuses

I have a 2002 185 sea ray and can't figure out why the fuse under the dash keeps blowing when i try to turn the buldge pump on.

hello,
welcome to iboats. one reason a fuse blows is due to a short in its system. an overload can also do that. if the bilge pump is only item on that circuit if it was mine, i would test it directly. also ck its load etc. if it seemed ok, then i would add a 7.5 amp fuse and test it there to see if it also blew... and go from there.

good luck

regards
lakester :cool:

tommays

Admiral

It would point to a bad pump or shorted wire BUT generaly the pump can be run from the dash as well as the float switch in the bilge

IF you get down there in the bilge the float usally has a handle to test run the pump and if it still blows the fuse you can disconnect the pump and see if its locked up

Watch out how for the wire colors and how there connected ;) and you may have to CUT and splice to replace it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

those little motors only last so long. especially if exposed to salt water.