spark problem (distributor)

bond

Cadet
Im getting juice to the coil but im not getting anything from the distributor. I took the cap off the distributor and cleaned off the points, but still no spark. I cant find in the manual how far the gap needs to be for the points. I have the feeler gauges but i dont know what to set the points at. Any help to get this thing started is appreciated!

Also any tests that i can run to find any other problem would help too.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: spark problem (distributor)

Points can glaze over - while they can be cleaned, it is much better to simply install a new set of points. As Ziggy points out, you will have to be more specific if you want specific settings, etc.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

Points can glaze over - while they can be cleaned, it is much better to simply install a new set of points. As Ziggy points out, you will have to be more specific if you want specific settings, etc.

hello,

fresh points if avail. and not costly. for mine? $75.00 each. :rolleyes: will clean.

generally u can set the points at .012 - 016 for testing purposes. use 014 for testing. that is enuff of an air gap for them to function properly. then by time they are hot, u can set accurately. dwell degrees would be preferred over a feeler guage. :)

regars
lakester :cool:

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

Im getting juice to the coil but im not getting anything from the distributor. I took the cap off the distributor and cleaned off the points, but still no spark.

hello again,

that is a simple connection. zilliions of engines run that way. so if u have a hot coil, then when points do their thing it should collapse thru distr to plug. r u sure coil is good?

also, u will want to be sure ur connections everywhere in circuit are BRITE! u may have better luck if u loosen the distr hold down bkt so u can open and close points manually by rotation. but scribe distr to block first so u can get back to current timing. then set eng to #1. remove #1 plug wire, insert plug, ground.

do ur repair work, then turn on ignition, rotate dist L & R... back n forth a bit. and if system is correct, you will hear #1 plug fire. click, click. when u can do that, it will fire up assuming all else is correct and in tune.

good luck.

regards
lakester :cool:

bond

Cadet

I took the center wire off the distributor and held it close to the block and there isn't a spark. Whats this mean?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a rotor under the distributor cap I hope!!!

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

with power going to coil, you can open the points with your fingernail or a screwdriver. that should cause the coil to fire. if not, take voltage reading on wire side of points, if you have power there, check to see if you have a good ground on the ground side of the points. if this is all good, you need new points. power should come from the coil to the points then to ground. when the points open, you create an open circuit, and the field in the coil collapses, causing it to fire.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I took the center wire off the distributor and held it close to the block and there isn't a spark. Whats this mean?

It could mean you don't have the lanyard for the emergency kill switch hooked up.
We still have no clue what you are working on. Make, model, year, drive type.
Really hard to give specific answers without knowing.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

This is a Great discussion about the basis,+ theory of Points Igntion,.....
And sorta irrevelant without knowing just What we're working on,.....

I just posted because I like the poster's screen name,......
It's What Bondo is derived from,.... My Name,...............;)

Don S

I just posted because I like the poster's screen name,......
It's What Bondo is derived from,.... My Name,...............

And all this time I thought it was because of what you used to patch things :rolleyes: :p :p

And PLEASE don't tell me it's "Bond, James Bond" :rolleyes:

Bondo

Staff member

And all this time I thought it was because of what you used to patch things :rolleyes: :p :p

And PLEASE don't tell me it's "Bond, James Bond" :rolleyes:

Ayuh,......

Actually,....
I have a Cousin named James Bond..... But he's 007, Licenced to Kill.....
I'm 006, Bond,... Bill Bond,...... Licenced to Thrill..................;) :D

Don S

I'm 006, Bond,... Bill Bond,...... Licenced to Thrill........

Lord help us !!!!!!!!

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,......

Actually,....
I have a Cousin named James Bond..... But he's 007, Licenced to Kill.....
I'm 006, Bond,... Bill Bond,...... Licenced to Thrill..................;) :D

Bond-0, you always have had my utmost respect ........ till now :rolleyes::D

50,000 comedians outta work and starving to death......and to iboats good fortune, we have the king of 'em all right here.... lol

bond

Cadet

I forgot to tell you guys waht im workin on. Its a 1990 wellcraft with a 3 liter mercury inboard. But, i took the distributor apart and cleaned everything metal i could find! I moved the point that goes around the distrbutor lobe and cleaned it. Put it all back together and it fired right up! thank you guys for all the help