Marina did not drain motor for winterization

CayugaCobalt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 2001 Glastron SX 175 from a marina in New Jersey last May. I paid them to winterize it in October. When I got it home I noted they did not change the oil. They acknowledged that oversight but stated everything else was done.

Last night I found the the drain plugs and loosed the top one and rusty water came out.

My question is what are the chances of no damage? 50% zero percent?

Are there items that are definitely ruined?

What should I expect from the marina?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Marina did not drain motor for winterization

Call em

tommays

Admiral

I would have a CALM talk with them as they owe you and oil change anyway and see what happens as you dont mention if it was OZ or gallons of water that came out it would be a guess at best :confused:

erikgreen

Captain

If I were the marina I'd ask you to bring in the boat for a mechanical examination and a test run... if I were them I'd want to know if the block cracked, because to a non lawyer it looks like they'd have some liability here.

Be calm about it... humans make mistakes, and they likely were busy during the time they did your winterization. Explain to them your worries, and give them a chance to do the right thing.

There are a few reasons freeze plugs can come out without being pushed out by ice, but they're rare. They are, however, supposed to have water behind them, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything depending on how it got there. A better test would be to change the oil, run the engine, look for leaks, check compression in the cylinders, pressurise the coolant passages in the block and see if it leaks pressure.....

Erik

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Before doing anything else, put the marina on notice of a potential problem and give 'em an opportunity to inspect the boat as is. If they don't, tell 'em what you're gonna do before getting started and that you'll get back to 'em for resolution if there's a block problem.

Robj

Lieutenant

It really depends on how much water came out. If it was only ounces then you should be OK. However if it was gallons, different story. You may want to add this information to you post.

Have a great day,

Rob

JustJason

Vice Admiral

erikgreen said:
There are a few reasons freeze plugs can come out without being pushed out by ice,

hehehe.... ice NEVER pushes out freeze plugs!!! :)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

There is no such thing as a 'freeze plug', the core plugs are there to get the sand out from the casting process. What do you call the casting plug used to block off the machined hole for the oil main galley?

Hint, they are all 'soft' plugs.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

hehehe.... ice NEVER pushes out freeze plugs!!! :)
Neither does 50/50 antifreeze....

How much water?

This would a good time to learn to do your own winterization for next winter!

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You don't say where you're located. Are you somewhere where there's a hard freeze? Freshwater or salt? If it's freshwater, and no freeze, they may have just decided to let the engine sit with water in it.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

he didn't say it pushed out the WELSH (freeze)plugs, he said he loosened a drain plug.

erikgreen

Captain

Okay, so then it's just a question of how it was winterized... did they drain all the water out, put antifreeze in, or what?