Trophy 1802 prop question

tomxdana

Seaman
I need a prop for my Trophy 1802 ( year 2002). Mercury 125hp 2 stroke. I bought the boat used last year and don?t know whether or not it had the right prop. There are numbers stamped on it. 2038 with a space then 19. The prop actually measures 11 ? . I went to West Marine and when they looked up the quick silver replacement the book listed 12 ? x 21 or 13 x 19 for my size boat. Are there any Trophy owners out there? If so what do you use? I?m not sure what wot is right now I believe at wot I have more rpms than I want. I never opened it all the way because I didn?t want to exceed the 4500-5200 rpms recommended by the manufacturer. Any suggestions on which prop to use? I use my boat primarily for fishing with 2 to 3 people aboard. At this point gas mileage would be more of a priority than speed or whole shot.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trophy 1802 prop question

Can't tell anything without max rpm and speed. Don't worry about the low
end of the rpm range you want to be at the top end.Most likely the 19 is the pitch so you are in the ball park.Get us the max rpm and speed preferably gps speed.Prop with best speed at max rpm will deliver best mileage.

tomxdana

Seaman

I was running 4200 at 30mph. I didn't run more rpms because I didn't notice much of a speed difference. It seemed like I was using a lot more gas for not much more performance. Will going from a 11 3/4 x 19 to a 13 x19 be a drastic change? I used the prop calculator on this site and it recommended a 13 x 19 also. I can't do any more tests because I now have a 2 and a half blade prop. Took my time coming back in and I'm not going to run the boat with the bad prop.

Thanks

KETELS

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 2001 Alumacraft Trophy. I think it was called a 185 trophy.
I had a Merc 125 hp and I ran a 13 by 19. Boat Ran about 39mph.
2 adults 1 child, 40 gallons of gas, minimal gear. Merc Prop.
I think about 4400 rpms.

tomxdana

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I think that is the one I will try.

KETELS

Seaman Apprentice

On my Trophy I also used a Hustler prop. It worked good but had to try different pitches to get it right. I think it was a pitch of 21.
I went out to the garage and found my Michigan wheel prop and hub Assy.
It also is a 13 by 19. This prop was supposed to be the same as the merc prop and hub. I only used it once because it went to 4600 rpm. Thats a tad to much for me.
I hope this info helps a little.

tomxdana

Seaman

It does help and thanks for the reply. If the rpms went to 4600 and you weren't comfortable with that couldn't you just back off on the throttle? I haven't been running mine at wot anyway. I understand that I want to be able to reach the 4750-5250. That doesn't mean that I have to run it that high.

Again thanks,
I will post back with my results,
Tom