A Eulogy

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
A guy I've been keeping in contact with recently lost his father. He wrote the eulogy. Says a lot about the way a son sees his father and how much love is there. I want to share it with you all.....don't think he will mind.<br /><br />You know, it's a funny thing about being a dad, you don’t get an instruction manual or anything, just a bunch of bills and all the sudden, you aren’t the most important thing in your wife’s life – this new little baby is. But you go on, being both husband and father, and as the married fathers here can tell you, it's a thankless job.<br />Of course, being a kid is no picnic either, you have to learn how to walk and talk and ride a bike, and there isn’t an instruction book for that either, just a really hard learning curve full of falls and cuts and scrapes and mistakes … and dad picks you up and dad picks you up and dad picks you up and eventually you start to get the hang of life. You still make mistakes, but you pick your own self up, and your dad cheers you on. You get a little older, and dad busts your chops a bit, but there is a lesson in the laughs if you listen hard enough. Years go by seemingly endlessly, and you share times, good times, bad times, whatever your times may be, fishing, bowling, boating, playing cards or just drinking beer watching a baseball game.<br />Time is relentless, and slowly steals what once you knew; the hero of your childhood begins the fade to gray. Losses come faster, and reach farther, burrow deeper, down to layers that are in youth unknown. Eventually the sons become the father, and the father, the son. A gift of love at long last returned<br /><br />I want to take you to a beautiful place, but this beauty comes at the cost of pain.<br />Now, rarely did my father cry; once when his father died, and then for his dog Smokey, bear in mind that he had a hip replaced and his bones shattered and reconstructed in these last 20 years. Tears for his father, tears for his dog. No tears for himself. At seven in the evening we gave him morphine. He began to look around, surrounded by those who loved him, on a day when he saw faces he hadn’t seen in years – and now these faces are crying, saying good- bye and I love you Dad, I love you so much.<br /><br />The look in his eyes was one of absolute terror, and then they slowly filled with tears. I thought he asked for mom, I wasn’t sure so I asked him what he said and put my ear close enough to hear – and I heard him say, “I want my mom.” In the crushing emotion of that moment the world seemed to stop, but I managed to tell him she’s waiting for you Dad, you’ll be with her soon, it's ok, don’t be scared, your mom’s there.”<br />We all reassured him that his mom was waiting, and a very peaceful look came over him. Tears no longer filled his eyes; his mother had dried them as she had done so very long ago. <br /><br />And see, that’s the beautiful part, that even though his mom left this earth fifty years ago, she never left Dad. He carried her in his heart until the very last moment of his life; and with the gentle grace he so often talked about, she led him to a world beyond our imagination. So too will Dad live inside all of us, for us to carry inside our heart.<br />Eventually, we all fall down. For my sister, my brother and myself, Dad will be waiting to pick us back up.<br /> Hiya Pal!<br /><br />Now I want you to turn to the back of the tri fold pamphlet, to the poem written by the prolific Greek poet Anonymous. It's title is “I did not die”. If you wish to join me in the reading out loud, feel free to do so, but if you can’t, he’ll still hear you.<br /><br /><br />Do not stand on my grave and weep <br />I am not there I do not sleep. <br />I am a thousand winds that blow<br />I am the diamond glints in the snow<br />I am the sunlight on ripened grain<br />I am a gentle Autumns rain<br />When you awaken in the morning hush <br />I am the swift uplifting rush<br />I am the birds in circled flight <br />I am the soft stars that shine at night<br />So do not stand on my grave and cry<br />I am not there.... I did not die<br /><br />See ya later dad!<br /><br />(and he would always answer, Be Careful!)<br /><br />Gonna miss ya buddy

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: A Eulogy

Now that took me back 15 years in a single moment.<br />Thanks for sharing that OBJ.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How perfectly said!!<br /><br />Thanks, OBJ. I saw my Dad in there, my Son, who is a Dad, my many grandsons and, finally, my one great grandson.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That was beautiful! Thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed it and now I have to go get a box of tissue.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thank OBJ, it's beautiful.<br /><br />A couple of months ago, I had a very dear friend pass away. Her son asked me to write the eulogy. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do and took over two days to complete. It's difficult to sum up someone elses life and its impact on their family and friends. It seemed an impossible task to ever really come to an end with it.<br /><br />I'm sure this was very difficult for him to write, but in the process of doing it, you somehow begin to heal.<br /><br />He did a great job. :)

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

That was so touching... but for some strange reason my screen got a bit blurry. Man I miss my Dad... I just wish I'd been a better son.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OBJ, My Father recently passed away. All of his kids, grandkids, great grandkids were in his room when he died. I will never forget the moment of his passing. Just before his last breath there was a look of immense pain on his face then all of a sudden his whole face started glowing and the biggest smile I have ever seen was on his face and then he was gone. I have never seen anything like it before and can't explain it now, but I know I will forever remember those moments.

SoulWinner

Commander

Whoa. I see in this a perspective that I had never considered. Thank you for posting this.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing if more powerful than the truth, which springs from the roots of love.

Carphunter

Commander

That was very well said.<br /><br />Thanks for posting OBJ and making us all reminisce.