Newb To boat Repairs

sclmcbclw

Recruit
I just want to say that this is a really great site. I just bought me a 1973 Crestliner Crusader 17 boat. It is in need of some work, especially the floor of it. I was told that marine plywood is best for it rather than regular treated plywood. Also, I am trying to find pics or books or something that I can use to see hoe these boats can when new. I also need new seats and an engine cover for it. Where would be the best place to find these things that I need? Will post pics as soon as possible.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newb To boat Repairs

hi

WELCOME TO I BOATS

thats a lot of questions :D

first in order for us to help you, we gotta know where you are. can you post it in your profile? it really tells us a lot....(what kind of water, climate, dealers and i boaters near you)

there is a hundreds different ways you can go about the repair.

but we gotta get you some reading first.....

....read skanky beast revisited at the top of the forum.
the hull extension with pics,

its best to read these all, evenn though you just wanna do the deck, there is more to know.

as far as parts....well we need to know the area.

search plywood....tons on here.

.......marine is over rated....a good ext grade, or pt will work great...(but) each wood has its nuances....you cant just slap it on....post back here on your choice, and well help you

cheers
oops

i386

Captain

Take as many pics as possible during the tear out. They become very useful not only for posting but in helping you put it back together. Lots of help here, just ask. Welcome aboard.:)

sclmcbclw

Recruit

Thank you Commander. First of all, I am in the great state of Louisiana down in the southern part. I just went to Barnes and Nobles to get a few boating repair books and manuels. I did take some pics, but did not come out good. Will try again soon. Also, What is peanut butter? And when I replace the floor, should I replace any foam underneath it too or what?

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

There are a lot of posts on peanut butter and foam. Take a few hours and do a search. You will be reading for some time.

For some quick answers, peanut butter is resin with a filler mixed into it to thicken it up. Fillers uses is glass bubbles, wood flour, or other things. It gets to the consistancy of peanut butter, so that explains the name. As for the foam, there are different opinions here about that, but I would replace it. Not only does it give some flotation if you swamp it, but it also insulates the hull from noise, and helps give the hull a little extra structure.​