Northern Lights

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
The northern lights are absolutly gorgous tonight. Can anyone else see them? Worth a look if your skies are favorable. Lots of green and sheets reaching about as far towards the south as I have ever seen. I'm headed back out to enjoy them, Later...

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Northern Lights

Neummans, the best northern lights I ever saw was back in '85. We were on our way to England and I went up on deck and saw the lights in color. Nothing but butiful(sp)came to mind.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

YESSIRREE!!!!!!!<br /><br />Just spent the better part of 2 hours just staring out the window.What a show!!!!!<br /><br />I haven't seen them this bright this early for quite some time.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Around here, the lights started way up high in the sky, not down near the horizon like they usually do.<br />They continued way past overhead, and continued to the south. The first time I ever saw that.<br /><br />BUT, they were not dancing, or colorful. Just dull streaks of light grey.

NOSLEEP

Commander

The further north you go the more spectacular<br />they get. This summer in the Queen Charlotte Islands<br />was the most colorful I have seen to date.<br />Mostly pinks, greens, white shades. very cool.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Last time I saw a show that intense was back around 1978. That one had more color, but this one was brighter. Not much color except for some red haze on the fringes. But the streaks were really bright sometimes. Called my brother on the south shore of Superior. Great show there of course, but rather common for them. I live halfway between Madison and Lake Winnebago. They extended south of here. Saw quite a bit straight overhead and to the south, but the best show was north. My 11-year old son was the first to notice. He was quite amazed. This was his first. Check it out again tonight. Activity that intense can stretch for days.

NYMINUTE

Captain

From NE Indiana they are terrific. I am amazed the government hasn't taxed this spectacular.

SoulWinner

Commander

I saw northern lights once. We lived in Kansas from '89 to '91 when I was stationed at Ft Riley in the Army. One night we were convoying from one encampment to another under black-out conditions and there, straight ahead in the sky was what looked like a giant "T" painted with a paint brush, strangely luminescent on a black velvet background. I was so into looking at it that I dang near rear-ended the truck in front of me about 20 times. Scared the pooh out of the Corporal in the passenger seat.<br /><br />Ever since then I have wanted to go up north to where they are visible and watch them.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really cool here in KC last night.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Arrrrgh! I was up until almost midnight last night and I never looked! Didn,t know. Get to work this morning and it's all anybody talked about, what a bummer. I have seen em many times before but always atreat to see em again. Oh well I'll try tonight.

Link

Rear Admiral

Only saw them once back in 1970 when living in LaCombe Alberta BC. Just different shades of white fading in and out but really neat to see. <br />To see colors would be awesome!

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

It's my understanding that about every 11 years they are very intense. Not that I am an expert! I saw this on the discovery channel.<br />I have only seen them once, and I long to see them again...sl

KennyKenCan

Commander

New York City produces so much light polution, it's a miricle you could see the stars, let alone the northern lights!<br /><br />And I live 60 miles away from the city!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

did happen to see them .. <br /><br />wasn't the best I've seen by a long shot, but they were there ...<br /><br />blessed to have been able to see 'em again

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

We have a great view for the Northern lights here in Lehigh Acres (LA), Florida. This is because I live in the northern approach path to SWFR Airport. They are accompanied by the obligatory whine of GE jet engines, cutting back. They cross overhead at apprx 1800ft.<br />They are spaced about 1 minute appart, compared to one every 8 minutes in August. Real pretty, but each landing means 180 more cars on the highways.<br />I have learned to adapt to the northern lights by leaving for werk 15 minutes earlier.