200hp evinrude stopped cranking

LightningKeith

Recruit
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum, and I thought maybe you guys can help me. I have an older boat with a 200hp evinrude 2-stroke. (I think its 1977). Anyway, had it out on the water yesterday and everything was running fine... until I noticed that when I went to start the motor, the starter wouldnt crank. I tried it a couple times, and played with the key until it cranked again. I figured it might be the ignition switch, so I replaced it today, but the motor still wont crank. (However when I push the key in I cal clearly here the choke solenoid). I have tested the battery, and everything is fine on that end. I'm thinking it could be the starter/solenoid or maybe some type of safety switch? I'm new to outboards, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Note: I'm not sure if there is some type of reverse safety switch or something, but I was in reverse when I gave the motor some gas and it died. After that it doesnt crank at all. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or if it has something to do with my motor not starting.

Thanks!
Keith

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 200hp evinrude stopped cranking

Howdy, Keith.

Welcome to iboats. :)

By far the most common cause of your symptoms is a poor connection in the cabling for the starter circuit or a corroded cable.

Take all of the connections of the large wires from the battery to the engine off, clean them carefully and replace. The worst offender is where the ground cable from the battery is bolted to the engine block. Tight and "looks okay" are not good enough. It takes less than one ohm of resistance in the circuit to cause your symptoms.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

keith does the solenoid click when you turn the key? if not...i had the same problem....there is a ground wire from the solenoid to the engine block. take it off and change it or just try to run a new wire just to test it. my ground was corroded inside the insulation and i never knew it. when i took it off and opened the insulation it just fell apart. sounds like EXACTLY what i encountered.

tashasdaddy

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

LightningKeith

Recruit

You guys are great. Thanks for the fast replies. I am going to clean the terminals. When I removed the engine cover and looked near the starter solenoid, I saw I small black wire (which appears to be a ground) connected to the engine block, but the other end is not connected to anything. Maybe the ground wire from my solenoid came loose? Or is this an old wire that someone just left? I took a couple pix.. you can see the wire hanging..

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/LightningKeith/?action=view&current=wire2.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/LightningKeith/?action=view&current=wire1.jpg

Thanks!

EDIT: I had my buddy, who is a auto tech, probe the battery and it is good. I think it put out 760cca

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i cant really see where that wire comes from but if its the small terminal on the solenoid...then theres your problem

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Did you check the fuse at the starter solenoid yet?

tashasdaddy

a picture of the starter solenoid would help determine. there would have to be a stud without a nut, for the wire to come off. seeing it is a closed connector.

LightningKeith

Recruit

I fixed the problem! It turned out to be the neutral safety switch. lol. Thanks for the help guys!