Boat Leans

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
I have a 1980 22' aquasport. When the boats sits still or when docked the starboard side is abouth 1-2 inch deeper in the water(only in the rear area). You can also see the water line when i take it out if the water. When driving the boat it doesnt seem to lean.

Please, what can cause this. Could it be because the steering is on this side?

It has the self bail scuppers and there is always a puddle of water on that side.

Thank you.

Coors

Captain
Re: Boat Leans

How many batteries are on that side?
Seriously, look to see if you installed more weight there, try shifting it around.
Or maybe some foam is water-logged.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat Topics and Questions. (Not engine topics)

Bondo

Staff member

Seriously, look to see if you installed more weight there, try shifting it around.

Ayuh,.... You've got Too Much Junk on that side,.... Move some of it to the Other Side......

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat is empty. The only extra weight on that side is the steering, the trim pump, the sterring wheel, and the **** pit area with instruments and radio.
Also on the oppesite side I put a battery to try and even it out but it didn't work????

CATransplant

Admiral

The boat is empty. The only extra weight on that side is the steering, the trim pump, the sterring wheel, and the **** pit area with instruments and radio.
Also on the oppesite side I put a battery to try and even it out but it didn't work????

You'd be surprised how much all that stuff weighs, if you add it together. When you sit at the wheel, you've got another, maybe, 200 lb. or more on that side.

It's insignificant, though, since you say the boat is level under way.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the info.

How can I check to see if it has got water logged?

I will be installing trim tabs; when insatlling ,will it become apparent if the boat is water logged?

I dont want to cut a hole in the floor.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

time to test drill the foam under the deck.

What I was thinking too...

If you don't think there is enough extra weight on that side to make it lean (which there just might be from the way it sounds) then there just might be water in it.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any way to check to see if my boat is water logged without cutting a hole in the floor?

Thanks

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably not-- I had to go through this pain too. I went under one of the seats. To make sure I didn't hit any braces or stringers, I drilled holes with my smallest diameter drill bit about 1/2" apart in a 2" cross pattern (per tashasdaddy recommendation) to make sure I had clearance for the hole bore.

Seal up everything with 3M 5200 afterward.

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could be caused by all of the above, but, I have a 2359 Trophy that does the same thing and most of the other Trophy 2359's have the same problem.
Mine came that way from the factory and the dealer warned me of it before it even hit the water. It doesn't affect the boat's performance under way but it sure is aggrivating looking at it. My fish well fills up with water when it rains too. I don't remember if you indicated if you are running an outboard or I/O. Either way take a measurement and be sure the engine is centered on the transom.

Neverhome

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Is there any way to check to see if my boat is water logged without cutting a hole in the floor?

Thanks

weigh it.......find the mannu's specs on the craft, the trailer weight is well documented.....loose the junk and weigh it.......a waterlogged boat will weigh, 200 (at least) lbs more than dry.