Crank Shaft Removal?

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how hard is it to replace the crank shaft in a 1987 evinrude 150? does the motor have to come off the boat?

does anyone have a blown up schematic of this powerhead?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crank Shaft Removal?

Just wondering how you know it needs a crankshaft? Threads or keyway buggered up? Anyway, yes the powerhead has to come off and be rather major stripped down. Pistons and heads don't really have to be removed if you are not heading for a total rebuild. Like I said, why are you doing this?

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i had a problem removing the lower unit. finally it came off with a ton of prying. the spines on the drive shaft were corroded and a little messed up. i replaced the impeller and put it all back together. i put her in the water and ran her for about a minute then she felt like she slipped into neutralbut she was still in gear. the water pump wasnt working so the shaft wasnt spinning so either the drive shaft is shot or the crank shaft is shot. im guessing the crank because that would be my worse situation.

what do you think? i will remove the lower unit to look tomorrow

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the splines in the crankshaft or the driveshaft are wasted, someone assembled the LU to the motor w/o grease on the driveshaft splines. If you need a crank and a driveshaft, try to find used, BC new prices are more than the motor's worth.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is it possible that just the drive shaft splines are wasted and the crank be ok?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Of course it is possible. It is also possible for a driveshaft to break.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Normally, the drive shaft is stainless steel and the crank is steel. So, if anything rusts, it's going to be the crank. Of course, then the rusty/worn crank splines are a lousy fit on the drive shaft so the drive shaft splines wear by association.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

hi dawgs sent ya a pm hope its not your crank but if it is i have one i will give it to you if you want it it is mint
bennyb

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

benny i appreciate it but if its my crank then i doubt i will even fix it

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the drive is fine....definately the crank is shot