pitch question

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
2000 Bayliner Capri 2150-5.0 alpha1-gen2. AL prop 14x23...gps'd at 54mph:p
I understand that by dropping 1 size in pitch will result in an increase of approx 400 rpm and sometimes a drop in speed of 3-5 mph. But by dropping on size do you actually mean dropping the pitch from my 14x23 to a 14x21. Most prop pages have a very limited selection of 14x22 and I'm not sure it would be enough to even be felt. I'm trying to get her on plane quicker while pulling the 2 tubes. Is it better to go 14x21 or down to a 14x19? I've been told trim tabs on this model boat is not really going to help much. I only have a swim ladder and no platform so the fewer obstacles for the kids & me to worry about the better..... thx

MikDee

Banned
Re: pitch question

We need the WOT rpm with the prop you have now, to make an educated guess

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry Mikdee. wot with current prop is 4300..range is 4400-4800

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Looks to me a 2 inch drop in pitch would be a perfect match would put you in the middle of the recomended range and no doubt improve hole shot.If you go to stainless you may be surprised by the results.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are only at 4300 RPM at WOT it is no wonder hole shot is terrible. But before buying a prop, make sure the engine is in proper tune, the throttle is opening fully, and the hull is clean. All three of those can result in poor performance. Since you are not into the manufacturers recommended WOT range, you need to drop pitch from 23 to 21 to get into the 4700 RPM range (one inch of pitch up or down = about 150 - 200 rpm) assuming you stay with the same prop design and manufacturer. Props of the same pitch from various manufacturers do not perform identically. One will have better hole shot while another may provide better top end. It's an efficiency thing!!

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys for the info. I got the replacement for the 14x23 AL last week and will be ordering the spare soon at 14x21 AL. One quick question tho, the new 14x23 is actually 14.25x23 and the spare will be 14.3 x 21. The quarter inch increase is not enough to be noticed is it,I have plenty of clearence.
For anyone out there looking to replace an AL prop, Iboats has some really nice deals going on.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

14.3 is almost the same size and generally diameter is the product of prop design.as long as there is clearance you won't notice a difference from diameter.

MikDee

Banned

Sorry Mikdee. wot with current prop is 4300..range is 4400-4800
Actually then the 23" pitch AL. is too much prop because you're lugging your engine at 4300 rpm. What you need is a 21" pitch AL. to free up your boat, & motor, you might even get more rpm, & more speed, once this happens. Also, If you're going to a SS prop, you definitely need to drop down in pitch from the 23", to a 21", because it takes more power to spin a Stainless prop due to the fact it is so rigid it does not flex (give) like aluminum and it will scrub some rpm over aluminum, but it will also produce more speed due to this very factor.
Good Luck