I can really suck now...(clean)

radar750

Seaman
Ok, boy did the wife pull a fast one on me.She says could I be home to meet someome who is comming to clean the sofa for free.So they show up in suits and a tie and a big Kirby vaccume with every accessory made. The whole thing was a big sales pitch to buy a vacc, and I fell for it. Man what a machine this is, it really sucks, up that is, it was unbeliveable how good it works.<br />I thought I would buy one just to get even with her for setting me up but I was really impressed with it. I got it for 995.00 down from 1595.00. Does anyone else have one of these and do they like or did I just waste my money? Seemes like and awful lot for a vaccume.

ehenry

Commander
Re: I can really suck now...(clean)

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA at Radar ! ! ! ! I feel your pain. The Electrolux guy hit my road about 15 years ago and sold 5 Silverado Delux models. When I got home all my neighbors were out in the street raising $1.32 worth of cain over their wives buying $800 dollar vacume cleaners. I told them I felt sorry for them until I went I in the house and found out my old lady bought one too!!!<br /><br />After the Electrolux shot crapps she hauled off and bought a Kirby....*****ed, whined and complained bout how hard it was to push, how hard it was to switch attachments, how hard it was to change belts, how much hair and crud wraps around the shaft coming out of the motor......now we got an Electrolux again.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

It is an aweful lot......my ex used to sell them and my parents bought one and it lasted a long time ....bout' 10 yrs. I guess it all depends on often you use it. I got a vacume for bout' 70 bucks and this thing rocks and I had it for over a year and that means I could buy like 10+ of them for that price. One a year if need be. Is it also a shampooer.....my moms was so that would be a difference. Hers also weighed like 500lbs.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

My new wifes deadbeat brother used to sell them for like 3 weeks. Untill he quit to sit on the couch. Her mother bought one for their new house but, she didnt tell her husband. Well he came home and chewed her A$$ so bad she had to get rid of it. That is how i got my brand new $1600 vaccume for free. <br /><br />Oh yeah i have one room that 12x24 with carpet. the rest is hardwood and ceramic tile. <br /><br />Man that thing will suck the butt right out of the cat. I use it only on my couch and my love seat to get the dog hair out of it. Also it really works great for cleaning your car

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

My mother, an aunt and my grandmother ALL still use their 50 pound Kirby's. The things have to be 20-30 yrs old now. Big, heavy metal monsters....but they all still "suck" :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Years ago I got rid of him when I tried to sell him my old Mercury Comet.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Hey radar, There is some guy comming next week to fix free lunch...In a new teflon pan. :D JK<br /><br />Hey if your happy what the heck right.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have 2 Electroluxes that I have had for about 20 years. Best Vacuum I ever used.<br /><br />Bought them both at a yard sale (estate sale) for $10. Like new. Only wanted one, but at $5 each I couldn't resist.<br /><br />I have used a Kirby, and for what they do they are excellent, but the E'lux works better for my style of working.

ebbtide176

Commander

my neighbor went thru exact same thing this summer, and he is very happy with it. he would never have thought about spending that kind of $$$ on a vacuum, but they last so long i think its worth it for many people. they have alot of carpet and use it alot. its an upright, and it will breakdown to handheld only weighing @ 10lbs i'd guess. <br /><br />i have a walmart cheapo myself. i remember when long ago, my pop found out mother got a huge cannister type electrolux for @ 1k, and had a fit. but she still uses the thing, and it was bought in early 70's. :)

KennyKenCan

Commander

I use to be a door to door Kirby salesman once, for about 2 weeks!<br /><br />The only one I ever sold, is the Kirby Mark 5 that I have, with all the whistles and bells.<br /><br />Have had it for the past 15 years now.<br /><br />Best darn vacuum on the market!

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife got sucked into the same thing a couple of years ago. Of course she bought one! I will admit, it does work better than any vacuum we have ever had.

spratt

Lieutenant

I have to add my 2cents worth here!!<br /><br />I believe that the Rainbow vacuum is the best on the market, because no matter what vacuum you have or use, if it has a bag in it, all it is doing is throwing the garbage back out in the air!!! The Rainbow uses water as it's filter, and traps the dust and dirt in the pan for you to empty OUTSIDE the house, and doesn't store the germs in a nice dark warm bag to multiply while in the closet. Yep, ANY ANY ANY machine that you put away in the closet with a bag in it, shall multiply in germs while stored. And, what if you loan it out or use it in someone else's place? You got it, you pick up THEIR germs, or carry YOUR's to their place, and spread those germs all over...I pitted the Rainbow against EVERY vacuum on the market and it never lost (although Filter Queen was the hardest to compete against). If there is a bag or paper filter, it has holes in it. The holes get clogged in a few seconds, the AIR FLOW stops and the efficiency of the machine just went down teh tube. After that, all that happens is teh stuff gets beaten down into the carpet by the beater bar. I had several clients who got prescriptions for the Rainbow due to teh allergin factor, and got the insurance to buy their Rainbows as an AIR FILTER, because you can actually close a room, run the vacuum in it, and it will "wash" the air over a period of time.<br /> The Rainbow NEVER loses it's airflow because you cannot clog water, unless you pick up so much dirt it displaces the water, then you just change it out...<br /><br />The Rainbow is in teh same price range as teh Kirby, but for the money, I would NEVER buy a vacuum with a bag. My wife loves our Rainbow, and she has allergies worse than anyone I know! I cannot even mow the grass while she is home. She can walk into a two story house, and tell immediately if there is a guinea pig on the second floor, or if there is a bird in the house, even if it cannot be smelled, because it closes her sinuses right up.<br /><br />HOWEVER...as it has been said many many times, opinions are many and some stink...like a vacuum with a bag:)<br /><br />A regular vacuum throws the dust right back into your face, and then settles back down on the furniture. Next time you vacuum, dust first, then come back about an hour after and see if the dust is back...

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

had a couple of kirbys loved them all untill the model came out. our latest is self propeled and the kids can push it around :D worth the money i think

ehenry

Commander

Hey Sprattt....you a Rainbow salesman???<br /><br />My sister is asthmatic and has a Rainbow and she swears by it.

spratt

Lieutenant

"Hey Sprattt....you a Rainbow salesman???"<br /><br />EF, I sold them about 18 years ago back in Charleston, SC...then a couple years out here in WA, but not anymore...I wouldn't own ANY other vacuum. One family I sold one to had teh wife who was so drastically asthmatic, that her husband had to vacuum teh house while she went out to shop for a few hours. Then she could come home...hours, because they knew the dust settled back around them, but they had no clue as to what to do. After seeing the Rainbow, they had their Dr. give his opinion, and actually got a prescription for the machine!!!

ebbtide176

Commander

yeah, we used to borrow a neighbors rainbow vacuum sometimes, since they used some of my handtools also. it was ok, but it always looked they never cleaned the dang water bucket. eeeee<br />they had 2 collies in their house. my wife made me clean out the long dog hair & wash it with bleach before she'd use it. <br /><br />we just couldn't afford the $800 for one of our own(at the time my car cost less). they work well, but the water bucket gets nasty fast. also, i think the new kirby's have a couple of diff filters, hepa incl. i think the one my neighbor has can be washed out, and never needs replacment...

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by ebb:<br /> yeah, we used to borrow a neighbors rainbow vacuum sometimes, since they used some of my handtools also. it was ok, but it always looked they never cleaned the dang water bucket. eeeee<br />they had 2 collies in their house. my wife made me clean out the long dog hair & wash it with bleach before she'd use it. <br /><br />we just couldn't afford the $800 for one of our own. they work well, but the water bucket gets nasty fast. also, i think the new kirby's have a couple of diff filters, hepa incl. i think the one my neighbor has can be washed out, and never needs replacment...
That si teh main reason a lot of folks get rid of them after buying them...they are too lazy to keep them clean. The machine is only as good as teh owner maintenance. There is waht is called a "seperator" which seperates teh air from teh water inside, sorta like a little turbin fan on the bottom of the motor unit. That is supposed to be cleaned after every use, and NEVER NEVER store it away with water in the bowl and the motor on top!!! Death results...to the Rainbow, that is!! The water evaporates up into the motor and seizes the bearings.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

i got one too, they do hold up, but for the price several wallys would do as well, and repair on the electro lux will cost also. <br /> mine must be ten years old, just rebuilt the motor for 250. <br /> I'll consider the Dyson/ new technology for the next time.

Link

Rear Admiral

Had a BIL 25-30 years ago who sold them for years. Even had a service center where he repaired and sold them. Great machines.<br />But I'll stick with my shop vac TY very much :)