98 Bravo 3 Zincs

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put my boat in 3 days ago.(Salt water w/aluminum anodes.)(new boat to me and 1st bravo 3) Do the zincs start working right away? I ask because the trim cyl. zincs are already looking not like new. There not pitted yet or anything but there not smooth and new like when I put them on. Will/should they last all season? Do I need to leave the battery on for the mercathode system? Just being cautious so I'm asking..... I know anodes not zincs...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 98 Bravo 3 Zincs

The Mercathode system has to be hooked direct to the battery so it CAN NOT be turned off while in the water.
It's explained in the OEM service manual, and I know you have the link to it. Look at section 7.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

how long do anodes last on a bravo 3? will i need to replace them once a month?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

READ SECTION 7, and do the tests.
If you are replacing anodes once a month there is something wrong. Either with YOUR boat, or any boats or docks next to you.
There is no easy answer to this, every dock and boat is different. That is why there is the cool test equipment.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

What leads do i need to run the test with a digital multi meter? (where can I get them or do they come with the meter?)

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

READ SECTION 7, and do the tests.

There is no easy answer to this, every dock and boat is different. That is why there is the cool test equipment.

ZZZzzzz....follow Don's advice.... and a DVM won't have what you need to do the tests. Merc's "Marine Corrosion Protection Guide (manual/part number 90-881813) will give you a little information on marine corrosion.